PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper: Open/save VBA projects

kato01
09-09-2005, 04:44 AM
Hello,

I would like to 'divorce' my personal.xls and have macros/vba projects saved in some directories, so that I can use them in other computers.
For instance, have a macro project that I can upload of a server and use loaded it when I need it and when I neede it. I have a fe computers and I am traveling a lot and I happen to make one macro in one computer and need to use it in another.

I know I can export modules etc using the VBA editor, however I can't see the option to save a project as an entity.

I often dowload VBA project demos and use them. How is this being done?

Thank you

Kato01

TonyJollans
09-09-2005, 05:13 AM
I'd be very interested to see what you call a project demo, and to know how you import it. AFAIK, stand-alone VBA Projcts can't exist - they need the containing Workbook (or Document, etc.).

There is nothing to stop you having a personal.xls or equivalent on a network, but if you're sometimes disconnected that probably isn't what you want. How about having a little macro which, on the click of a button, opens a network file - that way it would be easy to access when you wanted and were connected, but not a hindrance when you were mobile.

Justinlabenne
09-09-2005, 05:38 AM
I believe you would benefit from saving you code into an xla Add-in that could be loaded when needed. You could put all your useful utilities into the addin, build a menu with all the features available that would display when the add-in is loaded. Check into this, it may be useful to you, or I could be way off here?

Killian
09-09-2005, 05:42 AM
As Tony quite rightly points out, the whole rationale of VBA is that the project is contained in specific application document that holds the references to the Object Models used.

The way to achieve what you want to do is to save your workbooks as AddIns to a network drive then load them as required.