PDA

View Full Version : VBA substitute on Office RT?

python_dude
11-06-2014, 01:10 AM
Hi,

I'm thinking about obtaining Windows RT, and I've heard that the Office RT that comes with it doesn't support VBA. This is a big deal for me, because I'm going to need at least some basic form of Excel automation, whether VBA-based or not. Thus, I'd like to ask whether there's anyone here who has some experience with Office RT and who knows whether anything like Excel automation is possible with Office RT. In particular, I'm wondering whether Office RT can be (more or less) controlled through VB.NET or some other .NET-based language. Thanks!

SamT
11-06-2014, 02:04 AM
http://www.howtogeek.com/116637/htg-explains-what-is-windows-rt-what-does-it-mean-to-me/

However, you can’t run non-Microsoft applications on a Windows RT desktop. You might assume that this is because desktop applications just haven’t been compiled for the ARM architecture yet and developers just need to update them. This would be true, but Microsoft won’t allow third-party applications on the Windows RT desktop. In other words: The Windows RT desktop is locked-down and only for Microsoft applications. You can’t install non-Microsoft desktop applications.

http://products.office.com/en-us/office-rt/office-2013-rt-faqs

1. Macros, Add-Ins, Forms, and Custom Programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)

In other versions of Office you or a software developer can use tools such as Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) to write and run macros and other custom programs in Office. VBA is not available for the applications in Office 2013 RT.
To use macros, add-ins, forms with custom code, or other custom programs in Office documents, you need a version of Office other than Office 2013 RT on a computer or tablet not powered by Windows RT. Other versions of Office cannot be installed on Windows RT devices. For example, Office Home & Student 2013 and Office Professional 2013 support these features but cannot be installed on Windows RT devices.
If you already use macros, add-ins, InfoPath forms with custom programs, or other custom programs in your PC or Mac version of Office, you will not be able to use them in Office 2013 RT.

python_dude
11-06-2014, 02:29 AM
Ah, that's too bad :( Thanks for the answer!