PDA

View Full Version : xlSheetVeryHidden Does Not Work on Mac?

aerodoc
11-07-2014, 10:40 PM
I was experimenting with a spreedsheet that uses xlSheetVeryHidden on several sheets. On a PC, the hidden sheets are hidden and can not be accessed unless going into the VBA.

However, I opened the sheet on the iPhone to see how it would react. I opened it in the Numbers App and all of the hidden sheets were shown!!! So all of my code can be seen in the hidden sheets. Maybe it is because it does not support VBA and does not honor the xlSheetVeryHidden command? This is a huge disappointment since I could lose a lot of my propriety information.

Is there any way to avoid this?

mikerickson
11-08-2014, 11:57 AM
I don't know about the Numbers app, but Excel's veryHidden works fine on Office 2011 on my MacBook.

Its not surprising that Numbers works differently than Excel.

What do you want to do with the workbook?
Send the results to someone's iPhone? or send the whole working workbook?

First off, Excel is not secure. Anyone could find your formulas on the hidden sheets with minimal effort.
If you are concerned with keeping secrets, you lost when you picked Excel.
If you are concerned with someone accidentally overwriting the formulas, try seeing if the iPhone reacts to the .ScrollArea property of a
sheet and set the .ScrollArea to a range that doesnt' let the user scroll to those cells.
One way to conceal the formulas would be to format the cells with Protection>Hidden which hides the formulas on sheets with protection.

All of this would have to be tested on an iPhone.
You also might want to look into the possibility of using NamedFormulas and seeing if Numbers 1)supports Excel Names and 2) respects names whose .Visible is set to False.

aerodoc
11-08-2014, 12:38 PM
I know Excel is not very secure, but I did find a way to completely secure the VBA. There are programs that will lock that down as a "compiled" version - a new file. The basic VBA password is easily crackable.

I had hoped that since I could make the VBA secure, that the VeryHidden would prevent access to those sheets. But I looks like that will not be the case. I was just experimenting with the iPhone, but nothing will come of that. I was just amazed to see the VeryHidden sheets were not only able to be viewed but that they were also shown by DEFAULT.

I can still hide code as VBA, which I know I can secure, but that limits some things. Oh well.

mikerickson
11-08-2014, 05:57 PM
I trust that Numbers is ignoring any VBA code that you have in the workbook.

(Note: the default to Visible should show MicroSoft's attitude towards security in Excel.)

I would look at sheet protection and using the Hidden protection property.