PDA

View Full Version : run-time error 91

Pancakes1032
11-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Hi, I'm having a run-time error 91 and I have no idea why. I used this code for a different workbook and it works perfectly, the information in the columns are different that I'm extracting but I changed all the columns and ranges to the correct one, but now I'm getting this error here and the only difference is the Range, please help!

Range(Cells(20, 1), Cells(LastRow, LastCol)).Select
Selection.AutoFilter
Range("C2").Select

That is the beginning but here is where the error occurs:

ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(msheet).AutoFilter.Sort.SortFields. _
Add Key:=Range("A20:A" & LastRow), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, _
DataOption:=xlSortNormal
Please help, I don't know what I'm missing. Thanks!

westconn1
11-14-2014, 10:33 PM
hard to guess without seeing all the code
does the sheet name in msheet exist?

Paul_Hossler
11-15-2014, 02:34 PM
Roger westconn1's comment but using Cells() without a qualifying parent, will default to the active sheet, which might not be the one you want:

Selection.AutoFilter
Range("C2").Select

GUESSING here but maybe (note the 'dot' Cells, etc):

With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(msheet)
Range(.Cells(20, 1), .Cells(LastRow, LastCol)).Select
Selection.AutoFilter
.Range("C2").Select
End With

westconn1
11-17-2014, 01:53 AM
(note the 'dot' Cells, etc):in that case would be .range(.cells........

Pancakes1032
11-17-2014, 08:48 AM
That didn't work but here's a shell of the workbook I am working on. You can view the code there. I'm still getting the same error even with the change made.
in that case would be .range(.cells........

Pancakes1032
11-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Roger westconn1's comment but using Cells() without a qualifying parent, will default to the active sheet, which might not be the one you want:

Selection.AutoFilter
Range("C2").Select

GUESSING here but maybe (note the 'dot' Cells, etc):

With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(msheet)
Range(.Cells(20, 1), .Cells(LastRow, LastCol)).Select
Selection.AutoFilter
.Range("C2").Select
End With

I tried that but still no luck. I uploaded the workbook though so you can see the full code.

Pancakes1032
11-17-2014, 10:38 AM
This is the line of code that is highlighted, saying the saying the object variable or With block variable not set:

ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(msheet).AutoFilter.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:= _
Range("A20:A" & LastRow), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, _

westconn1
11-17-2014, 01:11 PM
if msheet is not the activesheet, range("a20:A" & LastRow), which refers to the activesheet, could be on a different worksheet and would give this error
similar as to paul's suggestion, but on a different line

Pancakes1032
11-17-2014, 01:19 PM
if msheet is not the activesheet, range("a20:A" & LastRow), which refers to the activesheet, could be on a different worksheet and would give this error
similar as to paul's suggestion, but on a different line

How do I know if msheet is the activesheet? I got this code from someone else, I'm not really that pro at VBA, so I don't fully understand.

westconn1
11-18-2014, 02:47 AM
How do I know if msheet is the activesheet?ideally always fully qualify your ranges like

sheets(msheet).AutoFilter.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:= _
sheets(msheet).Range("A20:A" & LastRow), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, _

Aussiebear
11-18-2014, 04:19 AM
How do I know if msheet is the activesheet? I got this code from someone else, I'm not really that pro at VBA, so I don't fully understand.

You could simply go with Westconn1's code or you could declare the sheet required

With Worksheets("mSheet"}
.Autofilter.......etc.

westconn1
11-18-2014, 12:49 PM
you would also get the same error if lastrow has no value and defaults to 0
as you have not posted your full code, we can not see what other errors maybe contributing to your problem

Pancakes1032
11-19-2014, 09:30 AM
I tried both of those suggestions and they didn't work. I posted the full workbook and the full code is in there. Thanks for helping guys :)

westconn1
11-20-2014, 01:42 PM
i am unable to determine your problem as my old version of excel does not support some of the code, i might test later on a different machine

westconn1
11-22-2014, 04:31 AM
i have tested your workbook, the code runs from update master button without error, please indicate what input values cause problem or what sequence causes error to occur

Paul_Hossler
11-23-2014, 07:43 AM
in that case would be .range(.cells........

Don't think that you would need the <dot> on the Range( ) since the .Cells reference the correct sheet (3 and 4)

But if you do, then you do need the dot on the Cells (#5) if you're doing it that way

Option Explicit
Sub ToDotOrNotToDot_ThatIsTheQuestion()

Worksheets("Sheet1").Select
'1 uses active sheet1
MsgBox ActiveSheet.Name & " -- " & Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(10, 10)).Address(1, 1, 1, 1)

With Worksheets("Sheet2")
'still uses active sheet1
MsgBox ActiveSheet.Name & " -- " & Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(10, 10)).Address(1, 1, 1, 1)
End With

Worksheets("Sheet2").Select
'2 uses active sheet2

With Worksheets("Sheet1")
'3 Case: No Dot - uses the 'With ...' sheet
MsgBox ActiveSheet.Name & " -- " & Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(10, 10)).Address(1, 1, 1, 1)
End With

'4 Case: With Dot - still uses the 'With ...' sheet
MsgBox ActiveSheet.Name & " -- " & .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(10, 10)).Address(1, 1, 1, 1)
End With

'5 Case: Err 1004 since the dot-less cells are on Sheet2, but the dot-Range has Sheet1 as it's parent
MsgBox ActiveSheet.Name & " -- " & .Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(10, 10)).Address(1, 1, 1, 1)
End With
End Sub