PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard shortcut to refresh the data in auto-filter column

raytrace
11-20-2014, 12:35 AM
The problem is quite simple. I have prepared a read only sheet with data linked from other sheets on the same workbook.
When the data changes in the the other worksheet it is replicated in the read-only sheet as well, as it should.
If I have placed a filter on a column in the read-only sheet and then change the data on the source sheet the filter does not change. This behavior is acceptable.
However, if I want to update the read-only worksheet (which has to be Protected) to reflect the changed data I have to go through the whole procedure;
1. Select the auto-filter arrow of the column that needs to be refreshed
2. Go to Text/date filter item in the menu
3. Select Custom Filter and the press the Ok button.

Is there a keyboard shortcut that would simply do the above ?

Please note, the worksheet has to Protected/read-only.
Thanks.

Aflatoon
11-20-2014, 03:53 AM
It's Ctrl+Alt+L in 2010.

raytrace
11-20-2014, 05:06 AM
Does not work with me, dear friend.

Aflatoon
11-20-2014, 05:18 AM
Do you have a cell within the data selected?

raytrace
11-20-2014, 11:48 PM
I'm sorry, I do not understand the question.
When I press this combo of key nothing happens. Absolutely nothing.

Edit: I understand now what you mean about selected a cell with data. Actaully, I just want the filter to be refeshed to include/exclude the changed data because I have used custom filters with multiple criteria.

raj85
11-21-2014, 12:54 AM
You need to reapply the filter or you can use macro code to apply filter.
You can refer below sample code for applying filters. change sheet index and range address

With Sheet1
.AutoFilterMode = False
.Range("A1:D115").AutoFilter
.Range("A1:D115").AutoFilter Field:=2, Criteria1:="Book", Operator:=xlAnd, Criteria2:="Magazine"
.Range("A1:D115").AutoFilter Field:=4, Criteria1:=">34"
End With

To refresh sheets data you can use F9
Check out all keyboard shortcuts for excel (http://vba-expert.blogspot.com/2010/03/boost-your-speed-in-excel-with-keyboard.html)

Aflatoon
11-21-2014, 01:36 AM
To refresh a filter (or clear it) using built in shortcuts the active cell must be within the filtered range.

raytrace
11-22-2014, 12:04 AM
Thanks, Aflatoon, for your effort to solve my problem.
I am trying what you have suggested but the shortcut (ctrl+alt+l) seems to have no effect on the worksheet while its protected.

Any suggestions on how to go about it ?