PDA

View Full Version : VBA help request: copy a range, add new data within the range and paste beneath data

pk247
12-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Hi All,

I hope someone can help me with some elegant vba code please in order to do the following:

(ps I tried recording a macro but I am quite sure someone here would be able to write something way better and more reliable than my recorded macro...)

Process request:
1- Data is located in Sheet1, columns A:Z - the number of rows is unknown but should never exceed 10,000 rows (I'm thinking xldown for this?)
2- Column M will always have data in it down to the last row of the range (other rows may have the odd blank cell)
3- From Cell A2 go down to last row in range and copy all data within columns A:Z
4- Below the last row paste the same data as above
5- BUT in the newly pasted data, in column K, drag down the word located in Sheet 2 cell B2 >>> Cell B2 is variable string and that's why it needs to pull this word down through column K copied data
6- End process confirming how many rows were copied in a message box

I really hope this make sense and that someone here on this forum could help me out at all please? It's part of a bigger process but I'm trying to take all manual parts out to help save me some time.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Paul, Ireland

ashleyuk1984
12-01-2014, 04:40 PM
I'm just going to give you some guidance which will assist you with your finished code.

1. LastRow = Range("M" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
2. Number 1 answers this.
3. Range("A2:Z" & LastRow).Copy
4. Range("A" & LastRow).Offset(1, 0).PasteSpecial xlPasteAll
6. MsgBox "Number of rows copied = " & LastRow

I'll let someone else answer 5. I'm watching TV :P lol

pk247
12-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Thank you Ashleyuk!

I think this will definitely give me a good start :) With regards step 5. though I'm thinking that if I copied the data to another sheet then took the value of sheet 2 B2 and dragged it down through column K AND THEN copy paste that data under the original data in sheet1 should do the trick. I'll give this a try over the weekend but if anyone else reading this post can think of a more robust way to do this I'm open to ideas...

Thank goodness for this Forum and to all of you who know no limits to Excel vba!

Paul, Ireland

SamT
12-05-2014, 10:22 AM

Dim TopOfNew_K As Range
Set TopOfNew_K = Range("K" & LastRow + 1)
'
'#1 thru #4
'

Range(TopOfNew_K, Range("K" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)) = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("B2")

'Almost same thing. Caution! Fails if blanks in New K Range
'Range(TopOfNew_K, TopOfNew_K.End(xlDown)) = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("B2")

Alternate, Same as above

Range(Range("K" & LastRow + 1), Range("K" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)) = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("B2")