PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Excel 2010 Weekly Update Breaks Excel

bluejen512
12-16-2014, 04:56 AM
:crying:
Hi i hope someone maybe be able to help.
I have lots of excel spreadsheets with VBA text boxes. After the recent updates from microsoft on friday my 2 machines running office 2010 i cannot type or edit the boxes at all. but i also have 2 machines with office 365 installed and these are fine i can type and edit as usual.

Any ideas on what has happen or how i can fix this?
your help is much appreciated!
Ive attached 2 excel documents one works and the second doesnt! hope this may help solve the issue
(im not greatly technical :( )

Thanks
Jenny

SamT
12-16-2014, 11:17 AM
Bluejen, I am changing the tile to elicit better response.

Do you happen to know the KB numbers of those updates?

Charlize
12-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Not sure what the problem is. If you can't edit your file, maybe it's the yellow bar that pops up in between the menu and the worksheet area ?

You have to approve the editing of the document to alter it.

Just a side note. Is it the James H Heal that needs extra approval ? Just a hunch because that's the one with an old extension.

Charlize

SamT
12-16-2014, 04:59 PM
Jenny,

Office 365 works with the Internet "Cloud."

GTO
12-16-2014, 11:21 PM
:crying:

...After the recent updates from microsoft on friday my 2 machines running office 2010 i cannot type or edit the boxes at all...

...Ive attached 2 excel documents one works and the second doesnt!

See: Here (http://blogs.technet.com/b/the_microsoft_excel_support_team_blog/archive/2014/12/11/forms-controls-stop-working-after-december-2014-updates-.aspx)
"For some users, Form Controls (FM20.dll) are no longer working as expected after installing MS14-082 Microsoft Office Security Updates for December 2014..."

I'm not exactly sure what you are relaying in that "2 machines ...cannot...at all..." but one workbook still is okay and the other is kaput (ActiveX controls-wise)

Anyways, either we haven't gotten the latest "fixes" that break stuff or maybe I've just been lucky so far. In either case, I have not experienced this, but by your description, it sounds likely related to the linked info. (Kudos to Rory for pointing this out several days ago at another site.)

Hope that helps,

Mark

bluejen512
12-17-2014, 02:32 AM
Hi

Yes it was - thank you Mark.
I have deleted the temporary file under %temp%\Excel8.0 and all is working fine now!

Thanks everyone again for your help!
Regards
Jenny

GTO
12-17-2014, 03:30 AM
Greetings Jen,

I am happy I was able to help and that it was such an easy fix:cloud9:.

I am sure you already caught it, but just in case... it appeared to me (a quick read on my part, least 'til I have mine calling and telling me stuff's busted...) that each user of your various workbooks/projects will need to do the same thing. Hopefully that doesn't end up being too painful: pray2:.

Mark