PDA

View Full Version : Runtime Errror 9 Subscript out of range

phan913
12-31-2014, 01:36 PM
I need some help I am trying to automatically sort 2 columns B and C when I update another sheet. When I update another sheet, sheet 1 updates through a formula but I keep getting Runtime Errror 9 Subscript out of range. Any help will be appreciated.

thanks,

Phan

Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
ThisWorkbook.Activate
Application.Workbooks("ThisWorkbook").Sheets("1").Range("B6:C100").Sort Key1:=Range("B1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes
End Sub

Kenneth Hobs
12-31-2014, 01:48 PM
You have an open workbook with a name of "ThisWorkbook"? ThisWorkbook is an object of the current workbook. Just use ThisWorkbook or even ActiveWorkbook if needed. In a like manner, you have a sheet named, "1"? While that is possible, the usual is "Sheet1". Whatever string value you have the sheet's tab, that is what you use for the string for Sheets() or WorkSheet().

I don't see a need to activate the current workbook which would be ThisWorkbook.

I can be more exact if you would work up a very simple workbook and attach it.

Paul_Hossler
12-31-2014, 01:57 PM
I think you meant

ThisWorkbook.Activate
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("1").Range("B6:C100").Sort Key1:=Range("B1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes
End Sub

Paul_Hossler
01-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Although a lot of that is probably redundant since Excel's assumed defaults are usually pretty accurate

Sheets("1").Range("B6:C100").Sort Key1:=Range("B1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes
End Sub

If Sheets("1") module contains the code, then this should also work

Range("B6:C100").Sort Key1:=Range("B1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes
End Sub

Bob Phillips
01-01-2015, 11:25 PM
Personally, I never trust the defaults, I would rather be fully explicit myself, full qualify ranges, and cancel events

On Error GoTo wsc_exit

Application.EnableEvents = False

With ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1")

.Range("B6:C100").Sort Key1:=.Range("B1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes
End With

wsc_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

phan913
01-05-2015, 07:19 AM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I was able to get it to work.

Thanks again,

Phan Nguyen