PDA

View Full Version : Word 2010 Ribbon Interface for Navigation Pane Right-Click Menu

rruckus
01-19-2015, 10:36 AM
Hi, I'm trying to modify the Ribbon in my template to disable the following right-click commands within the Navigation Pane in Word 2010, but I can't figure it out:

New Heading Before
New Heading After
New Subheading
Delete

I can't find the idMSO for these items anywhere! Does anyone know how to disable or remove them? I'm open to VBA solutions if it cannot be done through the Ribbon.

gmaxey
01-20-2015, 07:50 AM
rruckus,

I am almost positive that it can't be done via the ribbon. It is most likely a commandbar, but I don't know its name. This might get you started. If you can identify the commandbar name then it should be possible: http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_pages/customize_shortcut_menu.html

Frosty
01-26-2015, 11:02 AM
Another option, when user interface modifications aren't possible (which, the Navigation pane is a very particular area of Word... and works *totally* differently in Word 2010 than it did in Word 2007-- and because of some of the issues specifically introduced in 2010, it may also have some big changes in 2013), you could look through the WordCommands list to see if there is a macro triggered specifically when you perform some of those actions (although I looked and didn't find anything really about the NavPane, apart from "NavPane" being triggered when you view it or hide it.

So you could, presumably, pop up a message box any time someone is showing the NavPane to remind them not to use the Right-click buttons... very hokey, but...

Public Sub NavPane()
ActiveWindow.DocumentMap = Not (ActiveWindow.DocumentMap)
If ActiveWindow.DocumentMap = True Then
MsgBox "Don't use the BAD buttons"
End If
End Sub

rruckus
02-04-2015, 10:33 AM
I still can't find these commands, even in the commandbars. I tried looping through all of them and didn't see anything! Does anyone know the control captions I am looking for?

I can't use the msgbox idea; that's just too ugly and error-prone. Any other ideas on how to control these commands?

Frosty
02-05-2015, 11:43 AM
I don't think they're exposed, rruckus. You may just have to train people not to use it. I agree the msgbox solution is ugly. I don't think it's error prone - why do you say that?

rruckus
02-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Thanks Frosty. I was speaking to the fact that users can easily make an error by forgetting to follow the instructions in your msgbox. The code you provided isn't error-prone; it's the users I'm worried about :)