PDA

View Full Version : Creating Numbered List within a Table Cel

MGW1138
01-26-2015, 02:53 PM
Object of the exercise: 1) Use OCR to convert PDF Electrical Print to Excel
2) Use VBA to import notes from Excel into the Word Document Table(3) - First two tables concern non-print data.

The Script follows with these results:

"First Blank Out" writes to table cell (7,8) correctly and is overwritten by next command correctly.
"Second Blank Out" writes to table cell (7,8) correctly.
"Third Blank Out" writes to table cell (7,8) correctly

However the Selection.Range.ListFormat.ApplyListTemplateWithLevel Method starts the number List in Cell(5,8) Not (7,8)
as desired.

Note that rows 1 through 4 of the table are in the doc header. I have looked for information on the Method without
results.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Michael Wandrey

Sub ExtractExcelData()
Dim I As Long
Dim J As Long
Dim s As String
Dim sw As String

Dim W As Workbook
Dim E As New Excel.Application
Dim NewNum As Boolean

Set W = E.Workbooks.Open("H:\fai\FAI OCR Test.xls")
s = W.Sheets("Overview").Range("C4")

For I = 3 To 3
NewNum = True
'ActiveDocument.Tables(3).Cell(I + 4, 8).Range.Text = "First Blank out"
ActiveDocument.Tables(3).Cell(I + 4, 8).Range.Text = "" ' writes to table cell 7,8 correctly
For J = 1 To 30

s = W.Sheets("Overview").Cells(J, 3)
If Left(s, 1) = I And Mid(s, 2, 1) = "." Then

If NewNum = True Then

NewNum = False
ActiveDocument.Tables(3).Cell(I + 4, 8).Range.Text = "Second Blank Out" 'also writes to cell 7,8
ActiveDocument.Tables(3).Cell(I + 4, 8).Range.Text = "" 'also writes to cell 7,8
With ListGalleries(wdNumberGallery).ListTemplates(1).ListLevels(1)

.NumberFormat = Str(I) & ".%1"
.TrailingCharacter = wdTrailingTab
.NumberStyle = wdListNumberStyleArabec
.NumberPosition = InchesToPoints(0.25)
.Alignment = wdListLevelAlignCenterAlignLeft
.TextPosition = InchesToPoints(0.5)
.TabPosition = wdUndefined
.ResetOnHigher = 0
.StartAt = 1
.LinkedStyle = ""

End With
ListGalleries(wdNumberGallery).ListTemplates(1).Name = ""
'Next line starts numbered sequence in cell 5,8 ????? ============?
Selection.Range.ListFormat.ApplyListTemplateWithLevel ListTemplate:= _
ListGalleries(wdNumberGallery).ListTemplates(1), ContinuePreviousList:=False, _
ApplyTo:=wdListApplyToWholeList, DefaultListBehavior:=wdWord10ListBehaviour

ActiveDocument.Tables(3).Cell(I + 4, 8).Range.Text = "Third Blank out"
ActiveDocument.Tables(3).Cell(I + 4, 8).Range.Text = ""
Selection.TypeText Text:=s

Else

Selection.TypeParagraph
Selection.TypeText Text:=s

End If

End If

Next J
Next I
W.Close
End Sub

MGW1138
01-27-2015, 02:56 PM
It turns out that the ActiveDocumentTables(3).cells(I+4,8).range.text does write into the correct cell but it does not set what ever pointer is used by:

Selection.Range.ListFormat.ApplyListTemplateWithLevel ListTemplate:= _
ListGalleries(wdNumberGallery).ListTemplates(1), ContinuePreviousList:=False, _
ApplyTo:=wdListApplyToWholeList, DefaultListBehavior:=wdWord10ListBehaviour

The ListFormat is writing into what ever is the current cell when the script is executed. How do I set the current cell that this command will access

Thanks
Michael

Frosty
01-28-2015, 10:29 AM
This is actually a big topic you're uncovering, the difference (and similarities) between the Selection object and the Range object. I believe there is a help topic called "Working with ranges" which can help cover it (and numerous other discussions).

For your immediate purposes, before you attempt to apply a list format to your "Selection.Range" object (which applies to the range wherever your cursor is in the document) when you're really working with a specific range/location in the document: ActiveDocument.Tables(3).cells(I+4,8).Range...

You can immediately solve simply by selecting that range before applying the list format...
ActiveDocument.Tables(3).Cells(I+4,8).Range.Select <-- the Select method will "select" that range.

At some point, though, you'd probably want to pull out all use of the selection object... but working with tables can sometimes be tricky and necessitate the use of the Selection object (well, not really -- but it's certainly easier to follow what your code is doing when you're working with the selection).

MGW1138
01-28-2015, 10:54 AM
Thank you so much. I speculated that I had a selection vs range issue. In Excel it is not that big an issue. Rumsfield "What you don't know you don't know bites you". There just does not seem to be much available for learning the object model.

Thanks again