PDA

View Full Version : sharing question

DBinPhilly
03-19-2015, 08:19 AM
I've had a small network installed for about 10 years +. Yesterday they bought a new workstation with Windows 8.1

Their MS Access database is a front end/back end setup, with the program on the workstation and the data on a NAS device.

After installing the new workstation, it will not play well with the others. The other computers are Windows XP machines. I've mapped the NAS device but it won't open the MS Access program properly if another user is in the program on another workstation, saying the database is in use. Also, if they close the other workstation's program it will open the access program but it opens as read-only.

Any suggestions?

jonh
03-19-2015, 09:12 AM
Do they have write permission on the folder?

DBinPhilly
03-19-2015, 09:17 AM
yes

jonh
03-19-2015, 09:25 AM
Which database is read only? FE or BE? Both?
Are both lock files created?
Are all users on the same version of Access?

DBinPhilly
03-19-2015, 12:37 PM
Which database is read only? FE or BE? Both?
Are both lock files created?
Are all users on the same version of Access?

Both databases (FE & BE) are read only. Lock Files are created. Both users on MS Access 2010.
Note: the 2nd computer IS NOT a Windows XP workstation, it is Windows 7. Sorry.
The databases (FE & BE) are both updateable from the 2nd workstation.
Again: The front end resides on the workstations and the back end resides on the NAS.

HiTechCoach
03-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Both databases (FE & BE) are read only. Lock Files are created. Both users on MS Access 2010.
Note: the 2nd computer IS NOT a Windows XP workstation, it is Windows 7. Sorry.
The databases (FE & BE) are both updateable from the 2nd workstation.
Again: The front end resides on the workstations and the back end resides on the NAS.

I see this more with NAS devices than with Windows Servers.

Make sure you rule out any problems with opportunistic locking: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296264 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296264)