PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Macro or conditional formatting???

malik641
09-16-2005, 04:24 PM
I have attached a dummie workbook to help understand what I'm after.

If you look in the workbook there are 2 sheets: Freezer Diagrams and Bio-Analytical.

In the Freezer Diagrams worksheet lists study #s that are stored in each specific section of the freezer (there were more diagrams, but only one is needed for now). The formulas to do all of this are pretty confusing, but don't worry about that for now (unless you can find an easier method for them :whistle: ). Notice that each section of the freezer holds 20 spaces for study #s.

My problem is if someone were to put more than 20 study #s in one section of the freezer, there is no notifacation that that particular section is full.

Before I get to the Conditional formatting or Macro question, I'd like to explain how the workbook basically works.
In Bio-Analytical Sheet:
1. Choose the Freezer #, Shelf #, and Column # for where you want your study to be placed
2. Type in a study # (or any text).
3. The study # will appear in the location specified in the Freezer Diagrams worksheet.

IF:
There is ANY text placed under the "Disposed" column in the Bio-Analytical sheet, the adjacent study # will no longer be placed in any freezer. It will be removed.

And that's how it works.

I COULD try to conditionally format the whole row to have strikethrough text (which would be nice) if the new study # is trying to occupy a section of the freezer that is already full, but a columns D and E contain conditional formatting already...:think:

I started a macro to trigger a MsgBox to appear stating that the Freezer is full, but it is only Freezer Specific. I would like to have it so the section and freezer name is mentioned in the message box. AND I would REALLY like it if the last row(s) that tried to occupy a full section to have strikethrough text until corrected...but would that mess up the conditional formatting??? And how would I even APPROACH that???:dunno

I hope I've explained myself well.
Thanks in advance for any help!:thumb

malik641
09-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Okay, I pretty much solved it.

If anybody wants to take a look at my finished product I've attached it.

If you have any comments/suggestions please let me know.
Otherwise, mark it solved :clap: