PDA

View Full Version : Repetitive activities, but specific metadata (MS Project VBA)

michaelp
04-25-2015, 02:07 AM
Dear all,

I'm setting up an MS project schedule for an infrastructure project where we will perform works on 100 high voltage lattice towers.

The list of activities is the same for each tower. I have created a generic group of tasks for a tower.
However, each tower has its specific/unique metadata (tower name, tower type code), which I will store in the custom task fields. This metadata will allow me to create custom groups and filters in my schedule.

Now I would have to copy-paste this generic group of tasks for each tower (100 times), add the tower name to the task names ("assembly tower" becomes "assembly tower P05") and for each of the tasks, insert the tower's metadata into the custom columns.
As this is a huge amount of manual work, i'm looking for a way to use VBA code.
Input:

Excel list

Tower name
Tower family
Stub type

P12
OA40.25

P16
OA20.25

P18
OA20.28

P19
OA20.28

P23
OA40.28

Generic group of tasks

Required output:
For each record in the excel, copy the generic group of tasks, add tower name to the tasks' names, and put the tower metadata (from Excel) into the tasks' specified custom columns.
It seems feasible to me, but I only have a basic knowledge of VBA. Is there a smart VBA expert who can help me out with this interesting problem?
Thanking you in advance!