PDA

View Full Version : Word Add-in File

magnel
04-30-2015, 04:34 AM
Hello,

Please can someone tell me how to create a word add-in file.
In PPT, we get the option to create the add-in but in word we do not get the option.

gmayor
04-30-2015, 06:43 AM
The simplest form of add-in is a global template i.e. a template that loads when Word is opened to provide macros etc. For this, save the template as a macro enabled template in the startup folder. If you have not changed the preferred startup folder it can be located (in English language versions of Windows) by typing
%appdata%\Microsoft\Word\Startup
in the Windows Explorer Address bar and pressing Enter.

For other types of add-in you will require programming tools not supplied with Office.

magnel
04-30-2015, 07:31 AM
Hi gmayor,

Thanks for your reply, but I guess I was not clear with my question.

In PPT and Excel I get the option to save files as an Add-In file, but in MS-Word I do not get any such option.
In such case how do we create the Add-In file for MS-Word.

gmayor
04-30-2015, 07:48 AM
As I told you in my previous answer - save as a macro enabled template in the startup folder. There is no different add-in template format.

magnel
04-30-2015, 08:19 AM
Thanks gmayor, hope I will be able to make a button from it in a separate tab which will be available for use in any new document I open.

gmayor
04-30-2015, 09:41 PM
If you want to modify the ribbon of the template - see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_pages/customize_ribbon_main.html. The ribbon modifications will be added to Word. Put the code called by that button in the add-in template.