PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Word Error: "This file could not be found."

zadokcassel
05-06-2015, 05:24 AM
Office 2007, updated with all Service Packs and patches. All other file extensions open fine with exception of ".doc". When opening a .doc file, (for example, "sample.doc"), I get error message that states "The command cannot be performed because a dialog box is open." Click OK, and dialog box behind it states "The file could not be found. (C:\Documents.doc)". Click OK and new box says: "This file could not be found. (C:\Documents and Settings\...\and.doc)". Click OK and new box says: "The directory name is not valid. (C:\Documents and Settings\...\sample.doc)." Click OK and document finally opens.
Can someone help resolve this issue?

gmayor
05-06-2015, 08:41 AM
Presumably you are trying to open documents by clicking their names? See http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm

Paul_Hossler
05-06-2015, 11:04 AM
1. Windows 7 doesn't like user files in the root directory. Might be it

2. How are you trying to open sample.doc?

3. If you open a Explorer window and double-click Sample.doc, and you get the messages then I'd GUESS that one of the Word Startup folders has a bad folder name.

4. If you're opening it from a script or VBA, then I'd GUESS you might need to wrap the path name in quotes since the folder has spaces