PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] F8 Key suddenly does not work

hiflier
05-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Help! I use the F8 key to step through code. Tonite I went back into my project, hit F8 and a display of options for the monitor (computer only, duplicate, extend, projector only) came up. I tried using shift, control and function keys with no change. I restarted the computer, no change. I noticed that if I exit excel and have nothing running, hitting the F8 key still shows the same display (computer only, etc). This must be a system thing rather than an excel thing, but do any of you have any ideas for fixing this? I am in the midst of developing something for someone else and can't afford to lose the step-through option. Thanks.
Dave

Aussiebear
05-18-2015, 10:35 PM
Did you write something which effects the F8 key in any way?

hiflier
05-18-2015, 10:58 PM
I don't think so, because it's the same inside and outside of excel. But I could be wrong. I've been working non-stop on this project, so it may have happened when I unintentionally hit some combination of keys when typing too fast.

SamT
05-19-2015, 07:57 AM
because it's the same inside and outside of excel.
Acts the same in in Word?
Acts the same with no applications open?

Open a Command window and type "Set" + Enter. Carefully read all the lines for a clue.

Do you have a FLock key on your keyboard?

hiflier
05-19-2015, 07:29 PM
That's it! Thanks. The Esc key gets locked by holding down Fn when hitting it. It was systemic. I reversed the action and now the F8 key works normally. Thanks Sam. Sometime a little hint goes a long way. Dave