PDA

View Full Version : Sending email via Norton through Excel

fenfool
05-19-2015, 10:09 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to get Excel to generate an email detailing a certain set of column values. I have a maintenance log spreadsheet, I'm helping a co-worker in getting it set up. Column A is the date/time, that is populated when the user selects their name via the drop-down in Column B. Column C is a machine name drop-down, Column D is a problem code drop-down, and Column E is an open-text field for the problem description.

So what they want to happen is that the user would fill this out, and when it's all correct, they would go to the drop-down in Column F, which is just the number 1. That would trigger an email to be sent to a list of pre-determined recipients (a separate sheet named Email has a list), with basically just Column A + B + C + D + E for that row.

Continuing, Column G is a drop-down of Repair Codes; the user would select that, which puts this date of repair in Column J...they'd fill in some details in Column H, then go to a drop-down in Column I, which is just the number 2, and this would trigger a second email with repair details to the email list.

I'm not all that familiar with sending email through Excel. We use Norton here. I have one script that does work to an extent; but the email addresses are in the script itself, and it sends a pre-determined message, it does not grab the data from the cells. Also, it doesn't use relative position. This version just looks for a change in F1, it's set up for a range, so it could be F1:F500, but there is no handler to get just the information from the row that was affected.

The site won't let me post the script for some reason, so I am completely open to suggestions for making an email script that sends data for a given row of Excel data to a set of user emails via Norton.

Thanks in advance!