PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper: Exporting data from Excel into MS Project

DcD
09-19-2005, 11:14 PM
Hi.

Im a beginner to VBA in general and using it with Excel and this may seem a dumb question but here goes. http://vbaexpress.com/forum/images/smilies/102.gif

Is there a way that i can export data from a specific sheet within excel to MS Project? My excel workbook contains team information from which everybody is assigned tasks and they put a time on those tasks. What i want is to transfer the name of team member and the amount of time (calculated by start and end dates) worked into MS Project.

Can this be done? Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

outrider
09-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Hi.

Im a beginner to VBA in general and using it with Excel and this may seem a dumb question but here goes. http://vbaexpress.com/forum/images/smilies/102.gif

Is there a way that i can export data from a specific sheet within excel to MS Project? My excel workbook contains team information from which everybody is assigned tasks and they put a time on those tasks. What i want is to transfer the name of team member and the amount of time (calculated by start and end dates) worked into MS Project.

There is the ability within MS Project to use import maps which I have always found very clumsy to use.
These days I simply get all the required data prepared in excel and then copy & paste directly into a specific page in MS Project. (My particular "project" uses over 20 moulding machines, 50 operators, assemblers, printers etc and works well simply using cut & paste)

MWE
09-20-2005, 08:27 AM
Hi.

There are several ways you could do this depending on how often you want it done and with what amount of automation:
1. manually
2. cut and paste from Excel to MSProject
3. using MSProjects import capability
3. with VBA procedures

#1 is obvious (and probably why you posted in the first place)

#2 can certainly be done, but does require some prepping on both sides (as per the previous reply)

#3 is also a possibility, but I have found MSProject's import capability to be less than stellar

#1, #2 and #3 must be started manually each time by someone (probably you)

#4 The "programming" capability in MSProject is good and you can move information within MSProject and between MSProject and other applications fairly easily. You need to spend a little time with the MSProject data structure, but it is pretty simple and obvious. And unlike most other MS applications the basic project object has lots of places for user defined data. A real advantage to this option is that it can be automated quite easily.

I have developed some pretty sophisticated applications based on MSProject including many that interact with Excel. My favorite is a true MonteCarlo simulation version of MSProject that is entirely self contained, i.e., it does not rely on Excel or CrystalBall or any other package.

If you can provide some details, I can probably rough out something for you. What version of Excel and MSProject are you using? I do everything in MSProj2000. Downward compatability in MSProject is "iffy"; upward compatability is pretty good.

DcD
09-22-2005, 03:50 PM
Hi MWE & Outrider, Thanks for your replies. Sorry for delay.

Sorry i should have made myself clear. I want to automate this task. Most likely i will want to update MS Project once a week. Currently there is no MS Project File. I was looking at creating one based on the data in the Excel.
My plan was to use the MS Excel file and have a macro or button, etc that would transfer my dates into MS Project to be track time on a project.

I have tasks with a START and FINISH date that is applied to them. I was looking to transfer these dates from excel to MS Project (automatically, with as little manual effort as possible).

Im using MS OFFICE XP.

Thanks alot.
Dean.