PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] help on merged cells...

JackkG
06-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Hi all,

I have a code which tracks precedents and dependents of a single cell in a sheet. But when I select multiple cells or get to try it on merged cells the code malfunctions. Though the merged cell has only one formula but it sees it as multiple cell.

So, is there any way to distinguish between merged cells and multiple cells selection to track precedents and dependents?

Thanks

Cross-posted here:
http://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming-vba-macros/1087928-how-to-distinguish-between-merged-cells-want-help-on-this.html#post4100529

JackkG
06-12-2015, 12:06 PM
You can access the updates and attached file here:

http://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming-vba-macros/1087928-how-to-distinguish-between-merged-cells-want-help-on-this.html#post4100544

Paul_Hossler
06-12-2015, 01:17 PM
could you attach the file here also?

I only hang out in vbaexpress.com

JackkG
06-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Here you go..

Paul_Hossler
06-13-2015, 05:37 AM
I marked some suggested changes with ---------------------------------------

If Selection.MergeCells Then '---------------------------------------------------------
Set rCellToTrace = Selection.Cells(1, 1)
ElseIf Selection.Cells.Count > 1 Then
MsgBox "Please choose one cell at a time."
Exit Sub
Else
Set rCellToTrace = Selection
End If

There's a few quirks -- e.g. if a cell has no dependents, the user form is still being populated. Not sure if that's your intention or not

JackkG
06-15-2015, 08:01 AM
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. A quick review of your code. When we place the cursor on cell C5 which is calling (=A5+B5), but instead of displaying Sheet1!$A$5 and Sheet1!$B$5 in the dialogbox References, "LinksList", it shows just Sheet1!$C$5 twice...any suggestions as to how to fix this?

Also got to check if cell has no dependents, why its still being populated, i'll have a look at it.

Thanks!

Paul_Hossler
06-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. A quick review of your code. When we place the cursor on cell C5 which is calling (=A5+B5), but instead of displaying Sheet1!$A$5 and Sheet1!$B$5 in the dialogbox References, "LinksList", it shows just Sheet1!$C$5 twice...any suggestions as to how to fix this?

I have to look at it

I only looked at the Merged Cells issue

JackkG
06-15-2015, 02:09 PM
Hi Paul,

got the solution, you got to make a small change in the code [stMsg = r.Parent.Name & "!" & r.Address] instead it should be [stMsg = r.Parent.Name & "!" & Selection.Address] in both FindDependents(r As Range) and FindPrecedents(r As Range) sub routine.

Thanks a lot for your help.

:)