PDA

View Full Version : Database Backups

beginner
09-20-2005, 10:43 AM
i got another query that need your help.

I am trying to do a backup action on those data tables in my Access program regularly by exporting to another remote Access program. Any adv. what methodology is the best in practice ?

i am thinking may be :-
1a. - click a Backup button to activate below
1b. - auto export & replace all tables records to remote backup Access A from which other Access B will manual import for other calculation.
1c. - delete all tables records in current Access C to continue collect datas.

however, if the user keep clicking the backup buttons and force to replace twice before Access B have imported those tables records from A, then those tables in Backup Access A will become blank and the original data lost.

Even if i use Append approach at A so that Backup Access A would not got data lost but everytime when Access B goto import from Access A, it will import redundant datas and which is not what i want.

hope i have explained clearly and appreciated very much any adv. tks in advanced. !!!

beginner

xCav8r
10-11-2005, 04:09 PM
My general approach would be to split the application into two components: a back-end and front-end. The back-end should contain 99% of the tables, and the front-end should contain everything else. The remaining 1% of tables is reserved for capturing user preferences and options.

The back-end should be backed up at whatever interval you deem to be critical. Storage media is so cheap now that--with the size of the Access components--there's really no reason to overwrite or delete previous backups, especially when we're talking about just the data, which can be further compressed substantially in a .rar or .zip. I'd simply copy the back-end during a time when I know that it wouldn't be in use.

The front-end, however, should be backed up whenever you update the master version. That's just good development practice. In other words, do your development in a prototype version, but whenever you release an update to the master (production) version, back it up.

That's my general advice without knowing your specific situation. We can always get into more detail: RAIDing drives, using tape backups, offsite storage, etc.

PS. I wouldn't give users control over backups unless I had a good reason to do so.

mdmackillop
10-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Hi Beginner,
I made a KB item from a procedure I use to create data backups.
http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=445
Regards
MD