PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Excel to return looked up values from drop down list?

riteoh
06-22-2015, 04:19 PM
I have a series of Australian Postcodes, that can have multiple locations listed. EG.

2000 Sydney
2000 Bankstown
2000 Lismore

The locations also have other values listed against them, in 5 columns.

I need to write a lookup that will prompt the user to select the location from a postcode, and when the location value is selected from (drop down list?) the values against those locations returned.

So for example, then Value in Cell A is 2000, Cell B will return a drop down list of Sydney, Bankstown, Lismore, and when this location is selected, the values recorded in Cells C, D, E, F and G against Lismore the drop down list selection) are returned.

Have no idea where to start. Ideas please?

My excel file is attached, however 75% of the data has had to be cut out due to size limitations. The front page however should give an idea of what I need to do.

SamT
06-22-2015, 04:48 PM
You attachment didn't show up.

riteoh
06-22-2015, 11:38 PM
File now attached. Any help appreciated!

SamT
06-23-2015, 08:16 AM
No attachment again. Can you see it in your post?

Are you following all steps?
Go Advanced
Manage Attachments
Browse for File
Select File
OK
Upload

riteoh
06-23-2015, 02:52 PM
Confused! Under my initial post I can see an attached file. It even says there has been 2 views of it. Why is it I can see it but you can't? :banghead:

SamT
06-23-2015, 03:14 PM
Confused! Under my initial post I can see an attached file. It even says there has been 2 views of it. Why is it I can see it but you can't? :banghead:
I see it now, so no worries.

We're having a storm, so I could lose Satellite Internet at any time. I'm goning off line to work on this and some others.

SamT
06-23-2015, 09:41 PM
This gets the data, now just need to know what to do with it. DoubleClick where shown on the first sheet. Play with the form and see if you can break it for me. Then let us know what you think.

riteoh
06-29-2015, 06:07 AM
Thanks Sam - works a treat.

riteoh
07-21-2015, 05:55 AM
Actually - we have a problem. If the location has a duplicate name, e.g. Kensington, then the macro is correctly allowing the correct selection from the postcode (3031) but returning values for the first occurrence of the location 'Kensington' which is Kensington NSW, 2033, rather than Kensington VIC, 3031. This of course happens whenever a location name is duplicated in another state. Can the macro be rewritten to return values for the Location/Postcode selected, rather than the first time it appears in the list of ALL postcodes.

At least, I assume the above is what is happening.....