PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Count Rows Error

johnske
09-22-2005, 02:21 AM
Can anyone tell me why this gives an incorrect row count? (number of rows > 1 always returns 1)

Sub CellTypeConstants()
MsgBox Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).EntireRow.Rows.Count
End Sub

Killian
09-22-2005, 03:24 AM
Hi :hi:

Well, my understanding is that SpecialCells returns a range of the matches, so you would only need to return a count on that range, not the EntireRows.Rows property

Sub CellTypeConstants()
MsgBox Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).Count
End Sub

johnske
09-22-2005, 03:36 AM
Hi Killian,

Thanks. Yes, I can get a count of the cells ok (I should've mentioned that works ok).

But I have a specific instance where I want to use this (special cells) method to count the number of rows that contain one of the type of special cells I choose (xlCellTypeConstants in the case given above, but note that eventually I'll not be restricting this to the single case of xlCellTypeConstants)

Regards,
John :)

ALe
09-22-2005, 03:37 AM
In that way if the cells are in the same row, you get 2 instead of one. If you need to count the rows you have to call set the range first and then count its rows.

johnske
09-22-2005, 04:28 AM
In that way if the cells are in the same row, you get 2 instead of one. If you need to count the rows you have to call set the range first and then count its rows.Sorry, that doesnt work, I have three rows, the address of these 3 rows is returned, but the number of rows is still given as one.

Sub CellTypeConstants()
Dim Rho As Range
Set Rho = Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).EntireRow
MsgBox Rho.Address
MsgBox Rho.Rows.Count
Set Rho = Nothing
End Sub

Regards,
John :)

Killian
09-22-2005, 04:55 AM
Well its a tricky one, isn't it?
Becuase the range returned can be non-contiguous, you end up with looking at the first cell. The same seems to apply if you use Union on them all (which I guess is what is returned anyway) and Areas don't help either.
The only way around this that I can see is to test the row properties of each cell in the range against each other. The quickest way I think is to add to a collection if the row isn't already in it and then count the items you finish with.
Seems a bit long winded but appears to work

Sub CellTypeConstants()
Dim myRange As Range
Dim c As Range
Dim colCells As New Collection
Dim blnExists As Boolean
Dim item
Set myRange = Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
For Each c In myRange
blnExists = False
For Each item In colCells
If c.Row = item.Row Then blnExists = True
Next
If Not blnExists Then colCells.Add c
Next c
MsgBox colCells.Count
End Sub

Bob Phillips
09-22-2005, 05:18 AM
MsgBox Intersect(Range("A:A"),Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).EntireRow).Count

MWE
09-22-2005, 05:21 AM
Well its a tricky one, isn't it?
Becuase the range returned can be non-contiguous, you end up with looking at the first cell. The same seems to apply if you use Union on them all (which I guess is what is returned anyway) and Areas don't help either.
The only way around this that I can see is to test the row properties of each cell in the range against each other. The quickest way I think is to add to a collection if the row isn't already in it and then count the items you finish with.
Seems a bit long winded but appears to work

Sub CellTypeConstants()
Dim myRange As Range
Dim c As Range
Dim blnExists As Boolean
Dim item
For Each c In myRange
blnExists = False
If c.Row = item.Row Then blnExists = True
Next
Next c
MsgBox colCells.Count
End Sub

This solution contains a statement concept that has always bothered me. Why use
instead of
If blnExists = False Then colCells.Add c

Is there something inherently more efficient about the former?

The code below violates the rule "Thou shalt not use Go Tos", but it is more efficient code because it stops testing as soon as any row in "c" is = to item.row

Sub CellTypeConstants()
Dim myRange As Range
Dim c As Range
' Dim blnExists As Boolean
Dim item
For Each c In myRange
' blnExists = False
If c.Row = item.Row Then goto Nextc
Next
colCells.Add c
Nextc:
Next c
MsgBox colCells.Count
End Sub

Bob Phillips
09-22-2005, 05:23 AM
This solution contains a statement concept that has always bothered me. Why use
instead of
If blnExists = False Then colCells.Add c

It is more logical to test a Boolean for Is or Is Not.

johnske
09-22-2005, 05:30 AM
Ok, thanx guys,

I now have several solutions that give the correct count. Bobs is the shortest and will probably be simpler for the intended purpose. (You'll all find out what that is eventually when I finish the article)

Many thanx to all,
John :thumb

MWE
09-22-2005, 05:40 AM
It is more logical to test a Boolean for Is or Is Not.

hmmm ... and in what way is " = False" different from " Is Not" ? Ignoring the silly debate about Boolean purity :devil: and looking at code "readability" or"understandability", it is more "logical" to test for "= True" vs "= False". Yes, I know that the "true" is embedded in the If statement, never-the-less ...

Killian
09-23-2005, 09:32 AM
I didn't think that there would be any difference in terms of efficiency... both are doing the same test for equality after all but a quick test over several million iterations revealed "If Not boolean" to be twice a fast as "If boolean = False", so I gues the compiler prefers it...