PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Using All Labels on a Sheet

Zack Barresse
07-21-2004, 08:54 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm not too keen on Word, but a friend of mine has a problem they're trying to figure out, and I don't think it's necessarily a VBA solution - although that'd be cool. :) Disclaimer: I don't know Word. Period. lol

My friend is trying to print out labels for envelopes and he wants to be able to specify different addresses for each label. (I'm sure this is easy for most people, but I've never done it) Does anybody think they can walk me through this, or upload a sample file? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anne Troy
07-21-2004, 08:58 AM
What do you mean by different addresses, Zack?

Where are the addresses now stored?
Got a sample file?

Zack Barresse
07-21-2004, 09:02 AM
No sample file. The addresses are in an address book. ;) My friend just asked me this and I have no idea, so I thought I'd seek the Experts! :yes

And by 'different addresses' I basically mean, he wants to populate multple labels on one sheet w/ various addresses so he can print them out - basically save him time from printing one out, turning the paper, putting it back in, printing again... There's gotta be a better way to print multiple addresses to multiple labels on one sheet.

Btw, he does have label paper (not sure which kind although I can find out).

Anne Troy
07-21-2004, 09:18 AM
Ohhhh!
I do that a lot.

Tools-->Envelopes and Labels.
Choose the Labels tab.
Choose the Label type.
Hit New Document.
Make sure Table-->Show Gridlines is chosen (which means the Table menu will now say "Hide Gridlines" instead of "Show Gridlines")

Now, save this file as a template called labels.
Close it.

Any time he wants to type labels, hit File-New and double-click Labels.
He can type into any label he wants. I often use 4 or 5 labels, peel 'em off, then create a new doc leaving those 4 or 5 blank, and starting at the cell for the labels that still exist.

I think that's what you're looking for. It's all in my Word book, but some dumb author still has your copy here...and promises to ship it this week!!

Zack Barresse
07-21-2004, 09:26 AM
Ok, I'm lost. Btw, I'm in XP. Attached is my Labels window. Where do I go from there? Oh I need a serious hand hold on this one. I feel like a helpless baby... :(

Anne Troy
07-21-2004, 09:29 AM
No problem.
See that "new document" button?
If you hit that, Word closes the dialog, and creates a document of tables that's based on the label format chosen.
If you see a blank page, then it's 'cause you're not viewing table gridlines, and you have to follow the instructions I gave above...

:)

Zack Barresse
07-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Anne! You really are the Word Goddess!!! Works like a charm. :) Thanks!

Anne Troy
07-21-2004, 09:39 AM
Sure thing. :D

cmpgeek
07-21-2004, 09:52 AM
the other thing i would suggest is that he use the Mail Merge function. you can create address labels very easily this way, and if his address book you are talking about is his outlook address book or his personal address book IN outlook he will barely need to type in anything...

have him do this...

TOOLS --> Mail Merge
Create --> mailing labels --> new main document
Get Data --> Use Address Book -->
(there are 3 options here:) Outlook Address Book
Personal Address Book
Schedule+ Contacts
Set up Main document --> (this is where he will choose the mfg & #of the label paper)
Insert Merge Field --> (this is where every field in the address book will show up. he just needs to click on the ones he wants to include on the labels -in the right order. He only has to do this once so dont let the list freak him out...)
Once he has the layout the way he wants it have him click OK...
When he does that he will see what i call the skeleton of the mail merge - basically it is the placeholders he just chose...

Then have him click the MERGE button - this will open another window where he can choose where the merge goes to (new document / printer / electronic mail) i usually choose NEW DOCUMENT just so i can look over everything before i print it... you can also choose which rows you want the mail merge to include if you dont want to do your entire address book...

once he clicks MERGE it will open a new window with all the labels in order... if all looks good, he it good to print...

HTH...

Zack Barresse
07-21-2004, 10:16 AM
Thanks! I have emailed him the link and will see how it turns out! Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it!

Looking forward to reading the book. :D