PDA

View Full Version : Solved: I need help!

mvidas
09-23-2005, 07:02 AM
Well, I can always look stuff up online, but I just wanted to use that as my subject as its probably the only time it'll ever be even close to being a valid subject line :)

I lost my help!

Well, technically I lost half my help, the left pane in the picture below. I can still type something in the vbe and press f1 to get it's help page, but it isn't always right and just gets annoying.

http://www.hastalavidas.com/help.jpg

This occurs for the help in any office application (I've tried outlook, excel, word, access), though it works for generic windows help. I'm hoping this is something I can fix without asking IT, as I don't have admin rights to this computer so i can't reinstall it myself. I'll call it in if need be, I don't really have a problem with that, but if I could find out why I would be happy :)

Office 2000 (9.0.3821 SR-1), Windows 2000

Can anyone help me with my help?

johnske
09-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Hi Matt,

Sorry, looks like it may be a 're-install' problem to me, but I'd try a System File check first (you'd still need your "Office' disc for that).

As to why :dunno could just be a badly installed or corrupt file or disc sector causing the problem but I'd be doing a full check for trojans, virii, etc as well...(just in case)

Regards,
John

MOS MASTER
09-23-2005, 05:09 PM
Hi Matt, :hi:

I have no idea what is causing this error.

Could you try out detect and repair from the Help menu before your reinstall first? :yes
Can you try out updating your Office first as well? (SP1 is pretty old) it might help.

Could this be the problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822989 (So update windows)

Or read this topic:
http://groups.google.nl/group/microsoft.public.word.vba.beginners/browse_thread/thread/a90200b1e6a42a1d/21cd0d9f4ce5bb91?lnk=st&q=vba+help+file+broken&rnum=1&hl=nl#21cd0d9f4ce5bb91

Yust gueses but you never know. :*)

MWE
09-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Well, I can always look stuff up online, but I just wanted to use that as my subject as its probably the only time it'll ever be even close to being a valid subject line :)

I lost my help!

Well, technically I lost half my help, the left pane in the picture below. I can still type something in the vbe and press f1 to get it's help page, but it isn't always right and just gets annoying.

http://www.hastalavidas.com/help.jpg

This occurs for the help in any office application (I've tried outlook, excel, word, access), though it works for generic windows help. I'm hoping this is something I can fix without asking IT, as I don't have admin rights to this computer so i can't reinstall it myself. I'll call it in if need be, I don't really have a problem with that, but if I could find out why I would be happy :)

Office 2000 (9.0.3821 SR-1), Windows 2000

Can anyone help me with my help?
I am running the same build of Office2000 (scary!) under Win2K on one machine and under WinXP on two others. I have had endless problems with MS Help including the problem you seem to have. However, 95% of my problems start as soon as I update Office2K. Eventually it gets to the point where I relaod Office and start again (hint). So, I am running SR-1 on most machines these days.

Good luck.

Bob Phillips
09-24-2005, 07:53 AM
Have you tried deleting msohelp.exe in the task manager then starting help again?

MOS MASTER
09-25-2005, 03:45 PM
Have you tried deleting msohelp.exe in the task manager then starting help again?

Good call but please keep your CD ready. :yes

mvidas
09-26-2005, 07:05 AM
Thanks Everyone! :hi:

I appreciate the ideas!
-I didn't have msohelp.exe running when I just checked, but when I restarted help (as well as the computer) it didn't fix it.
-I can't upgrade past SR-1 as that is the official version for our company. Plus, though I'm not sure if its a later service pack issue or if it was a later version issue, but I remember upgrading at home to something newer and ended up getting those pesky outlook 'something is controlling this program' errors. I'm pretty sure it was a service pack (sp3 maybe?) upgrade, so I think I'll stay away

I've actually been running this same version for at least 2 years, never having a problem like this before (I only had one other unexplained problem in the past, and closing excel from the task manager solved that).

What is strange is on the help window, the Answer Wizard tab and Index tab are the ones greyed out. The Contents tab is still there, though everything listed is just generic VB things, nothing VBA related.
I think the way it happened was when I downloaded a 'tool' recommended by the state of new jersey (theres my first mistake), which was really just a glorified access db and front end. The makers used the access 10.0 object library, and included the .DLL for it, so I had to have IT come install that library for me. This issue didn't happen right away after doing it, but it had to be within a week and I can't think of a better explanation for it. I never did get that reporting tool working, and it messed up my help to boot! Stupid New Jersey.... :)

I'm just going to call IT and have them try Detect and Repair for me, and perhaps a full reinstall of office.

Thanks everyone!
Matt

Cyberdude
10-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi, Matt! How in the world did you get that picture of a window inserted into your post?? :bug:

mvidas
10-07-2005, 11:57 AM
:hi: Hi CD,

Alt-Printscreen to capture the current window (printscreen by itself to capture the whole screen)
Start - Programs - Accessories - Paint
Edit - Paste
Adjust size of canvas
File - Save As
Upload to webserver
Create post on vbax
insert image
If you ever need webserver space, let me know I've got tons