PDA

View Full Version : "uncontrollable columns

Kenw
09-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Am using excel 2013 and whilst new to VBA I do have a programming background. Am building a database at our local youth club with the longer term objective of converting it to Access (or some other system for on-line usage). However getting to the latter stages of the build before conversion I have run in to a problem which I don't understand and I was hoping that someone may be able to point me in the right direction.
A column has appeared in my system (approx 60 colums x 800 rows) which I do not seem to be able to control. The data values in it relate to my system but I am not running any routines to populate it. I tried clearing the contents and saving the file but the data returns when the file is reopened. Have even built a new workbook copying across everything except the offending column but still it is there with the 'offending' data when I open the file. I probably have done something wrong in the past but how do I find out what I did and how do I correct it. Am getting stuck for ideas and I was hoping that someone with more experience could point me in a direction to investigate further:( I suspect the answer may be very simple and point to me doing something wrong but unless I know where to look !!!!!!!!

p45cal
09-06-2015, 09:07 AM
perhaps attach a workbook? If data too sensitive for public consumption, Private Message me here for a personal email address that you'll be able to send it to.

SamT
09-06-2015, 10:15 AM
You will have to make a few more posts before you can attach a file. To attach, click the Go Advanced button and use Manage Attachments below the advanced editor.

You should use the Testing Area forum while trying to succeed

Kenw
09-16-2015, 12:20 AM
perhaps attach a workbook? If data too sensitive for public consumption, Private Message me here for a personal email address that you'll be able to send it to.

It's all my fault - getting senile I guess. I was convinced it was a problem relating to protection which I was unaware of. Actually I had some code which ran every time I loaded the workbook and it was this that caused my problem. I must have spent 3 hours chasing this.

Thanks again

Aussiebear
09-16-2015, 01:06 AM
ROFL.... know the feeling all too well.