PDA

View Full Version : XML data with variable filenames

GribbiN
09-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Good Evening,

I'm going to try explain this as best i can so one of you guru's can hopefully help me.
I currently manually update my line manager every hour and manually input data into a spreadsheet for such updates.

The system already has an update function that requires us to be online so we can only use it in some locations, the data is updated into the "AlwaysOn" folder every time a download is made.

The data im retrieving from the XML files is "Tags" "Counted" "Lines" "Qty" "Ext" (You might know a better way for this than what i have used)

These figures change each time so the XML data can overwrite each time as i am only interested in the most current figures.

I guess the hard part is the folder directory changes each time as does the file name.

The main file path C:\WISDOM\JOBS
A complete file path would look like this
C:\WISDOM\JOBS\4258205\1072\AlwaysOn

Some example filenames
AO_20150912_092046_InventoryStatusUpdate_1.xml
AO_20150912_092046_InventoryStatusUpdate_2.xml
AO_20150912_092129_InventoryStatusUpdate_1.xml

The job number is specific so the user can add this to a named cell "JobNo".
The next folder is always a 4 digit number and always changes so we would just have to go straight through this folder to our required folder "AlwaysOn" if this is even possible

I have attached a basic workbook and also a zipped up always on folder. The data is within the InventoryStatusUpdate files.

I guess what i would like is a macro that runs every 10mins or what ever is most stable, to pull the most recent InventoryStatusUpdate XML data into my workbook so i can use the data for my updates etc

Not sure if i have given enough information or whether this is even a capable task

Ill look forward to any replies

John

14375 14374