PDA

View Full Version : Excel Name Ranges

towely321
09-16-2015, 05:53 AM
Is it possible to change the name of a named range. I'm making named ranges for data entry but I don't have all the data yet. Each named range will have ten entries but the headers of each range haven't been defined yet. I want the name of the named range to reference a cell rather than have a static name. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

SamT
09-16-2015, 07:35 AM
Is it possible to change the name of a named range Yes. Kind of. In the Range naming dialog, select the range, edit the name, and click Add, then Delete the old name.

the headers of each range haven't been defined yet IMO, that is backwards. Names should be Defined after the Headers and should be patterned on the Headers. ie. Header "State Tax" would result in Range Name "State_Tax." (This use of the underscore follows the Excel autonaming convention.)

Each named range will have ten entries ... I want the name of the named range to reference a cell rather than have a static name.
Ten entries in one cell?

You can have ten Names that reference the same Range, but why would you want to complicate your project like that? A Data Point really has only one best nomen and that nomen should be the basis of the header and the Range Name.

See below.

towely321
09-16-2015, 08:39 AM
Perhaps this will help explain. I don't think it is possible but maybe there's a way.

Fall
(To be determined)

a
a

b
b

c
c

d
d

Here's a small example. My first named range is Fall and it's all good to go. I don't however, have the header of the second column yet. The range of the second range will always stay the same (B2:b5). I want the name of the second range to reference cell B1 so that when I do know the name of it/change it, the range will be named whatever I input into cell B1