PDA

View Full Version : Importing doc properties into another word document

standin
11-15-2015, 03:19 PM
Hi everyone,

I am currently using msword 2013 to create standard letters for customers.

In short we create a main docm for each customer with all of the necessary info saved into the built in document properties eg the doc property 'category' may be used for customer name etc.

We then have lots of other documents where the doc property field is added so that those details auto populate.

At present we have the other documents saved as quick parts and when you click a macrobutton at the bottom of the man document it opens that quick part in its own page (over the top of the main document) and the document properties then fill in the various fields..name, address etc.

The biggest problem is that modifying the quickparts in the main document is difficult and the other documents are frequently updated by others so the quickpart versions get outdated really quick. I am wondering whether there might be a way to have buttons in the main document that instead of inserting the quick part, open the other document for example a letter to the customer and then imports the built in document properties (which contains customer info) into the newly open document?

Unfortunately I have inherited this task and have been doing my best with Googling macros and vba but this part has me stumped. Programming aside what iI essentially need to do is open the main customer docm copy all the doc properties (as if to clipboard or similar) open minor docm such as cus letter and paste the doc properties in.

I realise that's not how it works but any help would be greatly appreciated as I am totally out of my depth.

Thanks
Standin

gmayor
11-15-2015, 09:56 PM
Why don't you create the master 'document' as a template? New documents created from it will have the document properties from the template. Templates can also store your quickparts.

You haven't indicated what the quickparts contain. There may be a better way to achive the required result.

My old friend Greg Maxey developed a process for creating related documents with common data. That might be worth a look - http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_pages/doc_bundler.html