PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Controlling page breaks in report

eed
10-03-2005, 08:47 AM
Hi, all. I've received so much good advice here that I'm back yet again with another question.

I have a report printing sets of records as sections/groups (Section 1, Section 2, and so forth). I want to start each section/group on a new page.

I grouped the records by (and created a header and footer for) the "GroupHeading" field which identifies the record groups, then I inserted a page break in the GroupHeading footer. This works swell until you hit the end of the last section/group. Then it inserts another page break and you end up with a blank page at the end of the report.

Can anyone explain to me how to suppress the last page break when there are no more records? I've attached a small dummy version of my database for reference.

Thanks so much!

~ eed

chocobochick
10-03-2005, 10:11 AM
No problem. Just use the ForceNewPage property:

Delete the manual page break you inserted in GroupHeading Footer.
Right click the title bar for GroupHeading Header and select Properties.
In the Format tab, set Force New Page to "Before Section."
That should take care of your page break needs for you.

eed
10-03-2005, 01:08 PM
I'll try this at work first thing tomorrow and let you know how it goes, but I've had some serious issues with the Force New Page property before. It solves the problem of a blank page at the end, but it's often given me the new heartbreak of inserting a blank page at the beginning between the report header and the first record detail.

But, I'll give it a try in this context and let you know what happens...

Thanks,

eed

eed
10-06-2005, 08:44 AM
No problem. Just use the ForceNewPage property:

Delete the manual page break you inserted in GroupHeading Footer.
Right click the title bar for GroupHeading Header and select Properties.
In the Format tab, set Force New Page to "Before Section."
That should take care of your page break needs for you.

You were dead-on, chocobochick. I can't imagine what I've done wrong in the past that has made the Force New Page property work against my desires, but for this task, it worked like a charm!

Thanks so much. :thumb

~ eed

chocobochick
10-06-2005, 09:56 AM
No problem, and I don't blame you for having difficulty with it before. There are many different possible outcomes resulting from the combinations of the property's After/Before settings and whether or not you set it in a header or footer, so sometimes it takes a little bit of trial and error to get the effect you want.