PDA

View Full Version : Reminder Popup Message - Outlook 2016 64-bit

Apnomis
01-25-2016, 03:52 AM
Hi everyone - I really hope someone can help me with this because I've spent all morning searching for an answer with no luck. I am one of those people that hates how Microsoft handle appointment reminders now - for me the whole point of them is they interrupt your day to tell you about something you need to do. I was forever missing meetings as I have a dual screen set up and often zone out of anything beyond what I'm working on at that moment in time so I don't find a little blinking icon particularly noticeable, especially as Skype and other icons are also always blinking, and being in a busy office it is also policy to have your speakers on mute so any reminder sound is also pointless.

What is wrong with a good old fashioned popup? They popup new e-mails so why not popup reminders? It's the digital equivalent of having a secretary stand outside an office door waving through the little pane of glass hoping you might happen to look in that direction before it's too late, where in reality a secretary would politely knock on the door, hand you the reminder and leave. It honestly baffles me why Microsoft think it's an appropriate solution.

Anyway I digress - previously on Outlook 2013 32-bit edition I had a little VBA script in Outlook that would just popup a simple message box, not the most elegant of solutions but it was small and simple and did the job of diverting my attention to the reminder, which is all I want. Unfortunately this same VBA code no longer works in Outlook 2016 64-bit edition, I don't get any error messages or anything, I just don't get the message box that used to popup whenever there was activity in the reminder window.

Below is the current code, if anyone can tell me how to tweak it to get it to work in Outlook 2016 64-bit edition I would be hugely grateful:

Private Sub Application_Reminder(ByVal Item As Object)

If TypeOf Item Is AppointmentItem Then
MsgBox "This is a friendly reminder about upcoming meeting!", vbSystemModal, "Attention!"
End If

End Sub

gmayor
01-25-2016, 05:34 AM
Did you really need the 64 bit version of Office? Microsoft recommends the 32 bit version for the majority of users. It is users of very large worksheets that benefit from the 64 bit version. Others tend to struggle with compatibility issues.

Certainly the reminders in the 32 bit version of Outlook 2016 pop up in the middle of my screen, and if your macro is employed you first get a (smaller) message box popping up in the same place.

I might have modified your macro to indicate what the reminder was for e.g.

Private Sub Application_Reminder(ByVal Item As Object)
If TypeOf Item Is AppointmentItem Then
MsgBox "This is a friendly reminder about upcoming appointment: " & Item.Subject, vbSystemModal, "Attention!"
End If
End Sub but there isn't any code I am aware of there that would suggest it shouldn't work.
Do you have macros enabled and is the macro in the correct module?