PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt document?

Sir Babydum GBE
10-05-2005, 01:47 AM
Hi

I created a document using Excel 97 which some users of Excel 2000 couldn't open (An application error would shut excel down when they tried to open it).

Thinking it might be a compatibility issue with VBA, a stripped away all code from the workbook - but to no avail. I removed all objects, conditional formatting, names, changed all formulae to values and saved. Still nothing. The only way I could get round it was to copy and paste the info into a brand new workbook - which bacame identical to the original. That worked.

I'd like to say the original was corrupt - but all the while users of Excel 97 were able to open it without any issues - even when it was full of code and formatting.

Any ideas why this might have happened - and what to do if I encounter it again?

Thanks

Sir Babydum GBE
10-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Hmmmmm... I take it this doesn't happen very often then.

:)

Oh well.

mdmackillop
10-10-2005, 12:21 AM
- and what to do if I encounter it again?

:boohoo

Sorry BabyD, I guess others, like me, had no useful suggestions!

johnske
10-10-2005, 12:40 AM
:boohoo

Sorry BabyD, I guess others, like me, had no useful suggestions!
Yes, in such cases it's probably best to zip and attach for others to try and track this down (still no guarantee they will tho :) )

BlueCactus
10-10-2005, 12:59 AM
It has happened to me many times. I always end up doing what you did.

There was a thread about something similar to this a while back. I seem to remember that conditional formatting was always part of the problem.

Bob Phillips
10-10-2005, 02:27 AM
Have you tried Rib Bovey's code cleaner http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm? Always worth a try