PDA

View Full Version : Help with using a template and template path.

exce
02-22-2016, 08:50 AM
I am using a custom made template in my project, let's call it document 2. At the push of a button from document 1, information is copied from document 1 and then opens a template and pastes that information into the template (document 2).

My problem: It appears templates have to point to a path. Is there a way to load a template into document 1 so that it is network independent? I plan on having multiple users using document 1 and they might not be connected to the network where the template is located.

The only thing I can think of is finding a way to make the template path the same as document 1's path and informing users to always have them in the same folder when executing the info swap.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

gmayor
02-23-2016, 01:28 AM
What is the information that you are copying from the document?
Is the document subject to regular change? If not then it would make sense to store that information in building blocks, document variables or document properties in the template itself, which would preclude the requirement to have a second document. If the document is subject to regular change, who is making that change? Can a userform replace the document?
If you must have a second document, then putting it in the same folder as the template is the simplest approach.

Paul_Hossler
02-23-2016, 06:50 AM
I am using a custom made template in my project, let's call it document 2.

I just want to verify terminology.

Is document2 a 'true' MS Word template (.DOTX or .DOTM), or a 'regular' document (.DOTX) used as a starting point for other documents?

At the push of a button from document 1, information is copied from document 1 and then opens a template and pastes that information into the template (document 2).

In my limited experience, I've never seen a document update a template. I've seen templates used to create documents, e.g. Normal.dotm is the most common example.