PDA

View Full Version : How to STOP Excels spell checker from checking text boxes

pcain
03-26-2016, 05:13 AM
I would like to sTOP Excels spell checker checking text boxes.

It normally does not check them! There are lots of discussion about how to check them within Excel by copying the contents to a cell, checking them and then copying them back. I have done this and also used Words spell checker. Both work, Word best.

My code checks the text boxes then checks the cells using Excels spell checker. Once a text box has been checked once, the Excel spell checker will << SURPRISE >> also check the words in it whenever it runs, even after the Workbook is closed and reopened! I didn't think this was possible! It is still the horrible Excel spell checker showing only a single misspelled word out of context.

This is only an issue when "spelling mistakes" within the text box are not corrected (ignored). If there are no "spelling mistakes", then Excels spell checker gives no indication it has checked the text boxes.

I tried protecting the worksheets while leaving the cells unlocked. This prevents user changing textboxes but does not prevent Excels spell checker from checking or changing them. I have not been able to locate any reset options for the spell checker. And no API code that seems relevant.

Any other suggestions?

thanks

mikerickson
03-26-2016, 08:02 AM
You could go into Excel Preferences and turn off the automatic spell checking and Error flagging. That way it will only check errors when you ask it to rather than automatically and on opening a workbook.

pcain
03-26-2016, 12:43 PM
Thanks mikerickson.

Excels Proofing options do not seem to offer any help.

I actually use a button on the sheet and only check as required.