PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Template help with header and footer

DomFino
10-09-2005, 07:55 AM
Hi everyone,
I have attached a template that is giving this unexperienced user a fit. The template opens and a pop up box appears for the user to select two options.
Once this is done they click OK and the information goes to the appropriate places in the Header. Lastly, the user will Insert a file (resume in this case) and then the document is edited if necessary and printed.

Problems:
The header on the second page is different from the first page header. I cannot seem to get the section break / page break stuff to work right. Also the candidate name does not show in the second page header and beyond until the last page.

The document always has a blank page at the end and therefore the Page X of X numbers are off by one.

I suspect there is a better way to set the header / footer / sections using VBA but I am not experienced enough to figure that out.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Dom

Bob Phillips
10-09-2005, 10:58 AM
I am not really sure what you want to achieve.

In the template provided, there are two different headers. ARe you trying to have the same header every page, if so, delete the section breaks, or do you want different headers but with some similar information in each?

TonyJollans
10-09-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm not sure what you want but what you have is three sections.

The first one it seems just contains a candidate name and is followed by a continuous section break which serves no purpose that I can see, as far as document content goes.

The second section appears to contain the meat of your document and it is followed by a next page section break. As far as I can tell there is nothing after that section break except the final paragraph mark which gives you your blank page at the end - again the section break seems to serve no purpose as far as document content goes

So it seems the section breaks are only there to control headers and footers. Section 1 has a different first page header. Sections 2 and 3 have a single header, same as previous. Exactly the same story with the footers.

So the section breaks don't add anything to the headers and footers either so, unless you have some other reason, get rid of them. Then all you will have is a single section with a different first page header and footer.

All that remains is to get the candidate name into the header. In the Section 1 header (not the first page header) put the cursor after the space after "Resume For" and press Ctrl+F9 and the type "BkOne" (without the quotes). Close the header,

So, a summary:

Delete the section breaks
Add a reference to the candidate name bookmark in the header

Does that help?

DomFino
10-09-2005, 02:28 PM
XLD & Tony,
Thanks for your suggestions.

XLD - I am trying to have one header on the first page and a different header on all remaining pages. Both the first page and the remaining pages have the same footer.

Tony - I did as your suggested and it works just the way I wanted.

Both of you, much thanks. I really appreciated the help.
Dom