PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Add In for Microsoft Word

ID015
04-07-2016, 06:56 AM
I have some VBA functions that I would like to share with colleagues but using Microsoft Word 2013 it seems a struggle.
How do I go about creating an add-in for Word that I can simply give folks? In Excel it's fairly easy but creating the same in Word seems so difficult!

Thanks

gmayor
04-07-2016, 09:55 PM
Copy the macro code to a new document's macro project (by default macros are created in the normal template). Save as a macro enabled template (DOTM format). Distribute the template, which would go in the user's Word startup folder. If the user has not changed the preferred startup folder it can be located (in English language versions of Windows) by typing
%appdata%\Microsoft\Word\Startup
in the Windows Explorer Address bar and pressing Enter.
I usually make a point of adding information this to the text area of the template so that the users can see what to do with it.

It works even better if you add a ribbon to the add-in template with the commands you want from your add-in. http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_pages/customize_ribbon_main.html

ID015
04-14-2016, 06:45 AM
Copy the macro code to a new document's macro project (by default macros are created in the normal template). Save as a macro enabled template (DOTM format). Distribute the template, which would go in the user's Word startup folder. If the user has not changed the preferred startup folder it can be located (in English language versions of Windows) by typing
%appdata%\Microsoft\Word\Startup
in the Windows Explorer Address bar and pressing Enter.
I usually make a point of adding information this to the text area of the template so that the users can see what to do with it.

It works even better if you add a ribbon to the add-in template with the commands you want from your add-in.

Thank you - it worked like a charm...