PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 MISSING: Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6)

brusk
04-12-2016, 09:33 AM
My company is starting to push out Windows 10 and Office 2016 64 bit to out machines and running into this issue. I've got a few complex .xslm's that I've kept up since Office 2010 and now changing some of the code to support 64bit. The problem I'm now seeing is the error about missing on the Common Controls. I found that the mscomctl.ocx is missing it cannot find it anywhere on the disk. I tried downloading the VisualBasic6-KB896559-v1-ENU.exe and that did not seem to do anything. I was going to try to copy it from my working 8.1 laptop and found that it does not seem to be there either even though that machine is working just fine. I need some guidance on where to go from here as I've been searching forums and the internet for the last hour with no luck.

Paul_Hossler
04-12-2016, 11:30 AM
MS and other OEM 32 bit controls are not compatible with 64 bit office (not 64 bit Windows)

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ee691831(v=office.14).aspx

ActiveX Control and COM Add-in Compatibility Existing 32-bit ActiveX controls, both third-party and Microsoft-supplied, are not compatible with the 64-bit version of Office 2010. For ActiveX controls and COM objects, there are three possible solutions:

If you have the source code, you can generate a 64-bit version yourself,

You can contact the vendor for an updated version,

You can search for an alternative solution.

Native 64-bit processes in Office 2010 cannot load 32-bit binaries. This includes the common controls of MSComCtl (TabStrip, Toolbar, StatusBar, ProgressBar, TreeView, ListViews, ImageList, Slider, ImageComboBox) and the controls of MSComCt2 (Animation, UpDown, MonthView, DateTimePicker, FlatScrollBar).These controls were installed by previous versions of Microsoft Office and are installed by 32-bit Office 2010. An alternative must be found for existing Microsoft Office VBA solutions that utilize these controls when the code is migrated to 64-bit Office 2010. 64-bit Office 2010 does not provide 64-bit versions of the Common Controls.

brusk
04-12-2016, 11:59 AM
Looking over the Code and Forms it does look like my MS Progress Bar 6.0 control I was using is now missing and failing to compile. I guess I'll start with commenting out all that and see about finding a proper progress bar that works for both 32 and 64 bit.