PDA

View Full Version : Word 2016 - Style Set Limitations

Greg
08-11-2016, 09:00 PM
Dear all,

In Word 2010, it was possible to save a document full of styles to the Style Set Gallery whereupon the document name would appear in the Style Gallery. If I save a style set in Word 2016, all I can see are some crummy thumbnail images in the Custom area of the Design Tab which I am required to roll over with the mouse to determine the style type. I have attached one of my many styles. In this instance the style is named "Style 2 (Normal) (Calibri)".

Furthermore, it was possible to assign any number of shortcut keys to the individual styles in the subject document. Unless I am wrong, only five (5) shortcut keys are permitted in Word 2016! In Word 2010, my styles had many shortcuts, all of which were usable and which were specific to the style being used. For example, Alt Z, Alt X, Alt K and so on. You can see these named shortcuts in the attached document.

Surely Microsoft would not limit the functionality of Word 2016 in the manner described. Have I missed something or was Word 2010 the best version of Word after all?

I hope someone can help.

Paul_Hossler
08-12-2016, 06:50 AM
Using MS Word 2016

[Options], [Customize Ribbon], and make sure [Developer] is checked

[Options], [Customize Ribbon], [Keyboard Shortcuts]

Select [Styles] in Categories dropdown

Select the style, and the shortcut key

Paul_Hossler
08-12-2016, 07:09 AM
BTW, I've never found a 'nice' way to do the assignments in VBA. This is the best I've come up with

Option Explicit
Sub AssignKeys()

' CustomizationContext = ActiveDocument

CustomizationContext = NormalTemplate
KeyBindings.Add KeyCode:=BuildKeyCode(wdKey1, wdKeyControl), KeyCategory:=wdKeyCategoryCommand, Command:="H1"
KeyBindings.Add KeyCode:=BuildKeyCode(wdKey2, wdKeyControl), KeyCategory:=wdKeyCategoryCommand, Command:="H2"
KeyBindings.Add KeyCode:=BuildKeyCode(wdKey3, wdKeyControl), KeyCategory:=wdKeyCategoryCommand, Command:="H3"
KeyBindings.Add KeyCode:=BuildKeyCode(wdKey4, wdKeyControl), KeyCategory:=wdKeyCategoryCommand, Command:="H4"
KeyBindings.Add KeyCode:=BuildKeyCode(wdKey5, wdKeyControl), KeyCategory:=wdKeyCategoryCommand, Command:="H5"
End Sub

Sub H1()
Selection.StartOf Unit:=wdParagraph
Selection.MoveEnd Unit:=wdParagraph
Selection.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles("Heading 1")
End Sub
Sub H2()
Selection.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles("Heading 2")
End Sub
Sub H3()
Selection.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles("Heading 3")
End Sub
Sub H4()
Selection.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles("Heading 4")
End Sub
Sub H5()
Selection.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles("Heading 5")
End Sub

Greg
08-12-2016, 09:58 AM
Thank You Paul. Is there any way to change the name/appearance of the thumbnails so that I can see at a glance which Style to choose from?

Paul_Hossler
08-12-2016, 11:24 AM
Thank You Paul. Is there any way to change the name/appearance of the thumbnails so that I can see at a glance which Style to choose from?

The 'Style Gallery' thumbnails?

I believe (and I could be wrong) that the gallery only shows the .Font properties, not .Paragraph, etc.

gmaxey
08-13-2016, 07:07 AM
Greg,

With the possible exception that it is now possible to map rich text content controls in the newer versions of Word, I would have to cast my vote that "Yes" Word 2010 "IS" the best version of Word.

gmaxey
08-13-2016, 07:16 AM
Greg,

When open and then save your attached document as a new style set it appears on that goofy "Design" tab in the tiny custom gallery.

After you select the set, the thumbnails appear in the Home tab "Styles" gallery.

Does this help?

Greg
08-17-2016, 05:05 AM
Hi Greg. I am aware that my styles, when saved, appear in the Custom Group as shown by you. In fact I started this thread by stating that I didn't like the way that styles are now displayed and wanted to know if there was any way to restore the 2010 style gallery. In Word 2010 I could name my styles and easily identify them. Now I have to roll my mouse over the thumbnails and wait for their names to be displayed. As I have at least 20 different styles for use with different documents selecting the correct style is now quite a chore. It seems to me that Word 2016 is for Dummies. Styles are fundamental the proper use of Word. I cannot understand why Microsoft would downgrade them in the way that they have.

gmaxey
08-17-2016, 10:49 AM
Perhaps you are talking about the built-in "Change Styles" control removed from the Home tab with Word 2013.

You can customize the QAT or ribbon to add that control.

Paul_Hossler
08-17-2016, 12:59 PM
In Word 2010 I could name my styles and easily identify them

Styles or StyleSets?

Styles on the Home Tab have their name listed, but Style Sets have the tooltip type name popup unless you use gmaxey's QAT suggestion?

Since a doc would probably only use one style set, I would only have to find it one time, and then the styles and their names are on the Home tab

I added a Styles dropdown to the QAT since the list is longer and easier to pick

Greg
08-17-2016, 06:11 PM
Styles or StyleSets?

Styles on the Home Tab have their name listed, but Style Sets have the tooltip type name popup unless you use gmaxey's QAT suggestion?

Since a doc would probably only use one style set, I would only have to find it one time, and then the styles and their names are on the Home tab

I added a Styles dropdown to the QAT since the list is longer and easier to pick

I meant to say Style Sets. Sorry about that.

gmaxey
08-18-2016, 05:40 AM
So is your issue resolved?

Greg
08-18-2016, 05:59 AM
Hi Greg. I suppose so. Clearly, Style Sets in Word 2016 do not compare favourably with Style Sets in Word 2010. It's a shame.

gmaxey
08-18-2016, 06:15 AM
Greg,

I don't know what you mean? After you add the "Change Styles" control to the QAT (or Ribbon) what is the difference (unresolved issue)? Style names are shown in the Style Gallery controls (Word 2010 and 2016) and you can select your named style set from the "Change Style" list (Word 2010 and again with Word 2016).

Paul_Hossler
08-18-2016, 07:23 AM
@gmaxey --

Win10, Office 2016

I added the [Change Styles] to the QAT and I get the thumbnails - how do I show the names?

FWIW, I have a Style Picker on the QAT, as well as the Styles Pane On/Off there also since I find I work using the Style Pane most of the time

One thing I did notice was when I use the ribbon to show the Style Sets, there's a constant 'ripple' of the thumbnails as it appears to just keep on reloading the thumbnails UNTIL I switch views (Draft-Print or Print-Draft)

Weird. I have to see if some addin is interfering

gmaxey
08-18-2016, 09:24 AM
Greg, Paul

I've only confused the issue. Greg, I understand now. The image I posted was after adding the "Change Styles" icon to my "Word 2010" install. Yes, that also shows the moronic thumbnails when viewed in Word 2016. I apologize for being the dimwit in this exchange.

Paul_Hossler
08-20-2016, 08:27 AM
Greg, Paul

I've only confused the issue. Greg, I understand now. The image I posted was after adding the "Change Styles" icon to my "Word 2010" install. Yes, that also shows the moronic thumbnails when viewed in Word 2016. I apologize for being the dimwit in this exchange.

No need for apologies

I learned a lot from the discussion