PDA

View Full Version : On converting .dot templates to .dotm, custom styles disappear ...

HelenT
08-24-2016, 04:11 AM
Hi,

I'm in the process of converting old (2003) work templates to 2010 including enabling them to use the new XML ribbon schema instead of the old legacy command bars. I'm falling at the first hurdle at the moment because the custom styles in my old templates seem to no longer be available to documents based on the new template .dotm files. I convert them as follows:

1) Open Word 2010.
2) ctrl-o and navigate to the .dot file and open.
3) file-> save as (set save as type to Word macro enabled template .dotm).

At this point, the styles are available when the template itself is open. However, if I close and reopen Word, create a new document and then attach the .dotm template, the styles are no longer available. (Please note that the Style Pane is set up to display ALL styles).

So the styles have disappeared before I've even added the XML!

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Helen.

gmaxey
08-24-2016, 04:28 AM
This has nothing to do with VBA, but is ...

HelenT
08-24-2016, 06:10 AM
D'oh, of course it is! Thanks, Greg, I'm going to go off and get some caffeine now ... see if that sharpens my brain cells a bit .. ;-)

Paul_Hossler
08-24-2016, 06:18 AM
create a new document and then attach the .dotm template, the styles are no longer available.

It sounds like you are creating a new (blank) default document based on Normal.dotm (forget what it's called in 2010) and then attaching a template

I find it's easier to create a new document based on a template. That way I get the formatting and styles and layout and macros specific to that template, and I don't need to attach a template as a separate step since File, New. <template> already attaches it

This is in 2016 Word