PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Can't Create an Excel Default Workbook Template

Cyberdude
10-19-2005, 08:42 PM
For some reason I have so far been unable to create a default Excel workbook template. I know that the extension must be ".xlt", and that a default workbook template should be stored in "... \XLStart".
Help didn't mention what it should be named, but J. Walkenbach said to name a default workbook template "Book.xlt" and a default sheet template "Sheet.xlt". I did all that, but when I request a new workbook, I get the standard one that Excel always creates. I couldn't find an ".xlt" file that seemed to be the Excel default. What am I missing? :bug:

Desert Piranha
10-19-2005, 10:16 PM
Hi,
My custom default workbook works fine as Book.xlt in:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

For some reason I have so far been unable to create a default Excel workbook template. I know that the extension must be ".xlt", and that a default workbook template should be stored in "... \XLStart".
Help didn't mention what it should be named, but J. Walkenbach said to name a default workbook template "Book.xlt" and a default sheet template "Sheet.xlt". I did all that, but when I request a new workbook, I get the standard one that Excel always creates. I couldn't find an ".xlt" file that seemed to be the Excel default. What am I missing? :bug:

Cyberdude
10-20-2005, 10:12 AM
Hi, Piranha! That's probably my problem. I didn't show the path, but I'm using:
C:\Program FIles\Microsoft Office\Office11\XLStart
That's the path that was recommended for a default template. The path you used is for what they called a "custom" template. I assumed that the custom template would not be used unless specifically summoned. I'll give your path a try. Thanx.

Bob Phillips
10-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Do ?application.StartupPath in the immediate window to get the path.

Desert Piranha
10-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Hi,
Yeah, the path i posted causes the workbook to open with Excel, on my system. After i made my changes i wanted, on the workbook, i saved it as Book.xlt, at that path. Works fine.

Hi, Piranha! That's probably my problem. I didn't show the path, but I'm using:
C:\Program FIles\Microsoft Office\Office11\XLStart
That's the path that was recommended for a default template. The path you used is for what they called a "custom" template. I assumed that the custom template would not be used unless specifically summoned. I'll give your path a try. Thanx.