PDA

View Full Version : Search data in 4 Contiguous cells within a selected area

binar
12-06-2016, 08:04 PM
Fellow Forum Members,
How can a get Excel 2013 to search 4 numbers in 4 contiguous cells within a range I select? For example in the graphic below I want Excel to SEARCH for the numbers 4,11,33,40 (in that order) which is located on Row6. In addition, the SEARCH needs to only be performed within a range I select which in the example below is the area colored in YELLOW.

I'm not a VBA expert, but my guess is such a search can be done using a VBA script. I very much hope someone out there can post the VBA script that can perform such a search because I don't have the coding skills to create such a VBA script from scratch. In addition, if there is a way to perform such a complex search using a formula I would very much appreciate getting such a formula posted in this thread. Thanks in advance for any help.

Leith Ross
12-06-2016, 08:49 PM
Hello binar,

Is the search only by rows (horizontally)?

binar
12-07-2016, 10:42 AM
Hello binar,

Is the search only by rows (horizontally)?

Leith, thanks for your post. I can understand how my use of the word "Row" can confuse things. Below is a description of the customized search I'm seeking for Excel 2013 to make written in the most logical way possible I can think of:

"In the seclected region of cells find the 4 horizontal contiguous cells that contain numbers matching 4,11,33,40."

I'm surprised Excel does not offer such a search capability right out of the box because not all searches necessarily target data contained in a single cell. Sometimes one needs to be able to search a series of contiguous data like I'm trying to do. If you or anyone out there can post a solution to this problem it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Kenneth Hobs
12-07-2016, 11:03 AM
I am not sure what your goal is. How are the numbers determined or is it just a static search for just those 4? If found, then what, return the row number or select the range? What if more than one match exists, is the first found sufficient? What if no match is found?

Obviously, if you had a concatenation helper column, such things are easier. I have seen some use that approach but 1 in each cell is 1111 while 11 in column A and 11 in column B and empty in other two is 1111 too. I would add a vbTab delimiter.

In code, one could do 4 finds and use Intersect(). It is not that difficult. Of course if any find's return range is nothing, then no match was found.

Another way would be iterate column A or the rows in the selection and use a delimiter like vbTab and see if it matches the vbTab delimited input string. I had thought that using the Forms object might make the vbTab delimiter via a clipboard doable.

So, several ways to do it. I guess the 4 find method might be the best but then I'm not great with built-in formula methods.

Sub Main()
Dim f1 As Range, f2 As Range, f3 As Range, f4 As Range, f As Range, c As Range
Dim i1%, i2%, i3%, i4%
i1 = 4: i2 = 11: i3 = 33: i4 = 40

On Error GoTo endSub

With Selection
'www.cpearson.com/Excel/FindAll.aspx
Set f1 = FindAll(.Columns(1), i1).EntireRow
Set f2 = FindAll(.Columns(2), i2).EntireRow
Set f3 = FindAll(.Columns(3), i3).EntireRow
Set f4 = FindAll(.Columns(4), i4).EntireRow
Set f = Intersect(f1, f2, f3, f4, Selection)
'f.Select 'Selects all
f.Rows(1).Select 'Select only first found
End With

endSub:
End Sub

Leith Ross
12-07-2016, 12:22 PM
Hello Binar,

This VBA macro is a UDF. You can use it like a Formula on the worksheet. It will return the address of the first cell in the match. In this case, it would return $A$6. If there is no match then an empty string is returned "".

Example
=Search4($A$1:$D$10,4,11,33,40)

Copy this code into a new VBA Module in your workbook.

' Written: December 07, 2016
' Author: Leith Ross

Function Search4(ByRef Rng As Range, ParamArray SearchTerms() As Variant) As String

Dim Data As Variant

If UBound(SearchTerms) <> 3 Then Exit Function

Data = Rng.Value

For j = 1 To Rng.Rows.Count
If Data(j, 1) = SearchTerms(0) Then
If Data(j, 2) = SearchTerms(1) Then
If Data(j, 3) = SearchTerms(2) Then
If Data(j, 4) = SearchTerms(3) Then
Search4 = Cells(j, Rng.Column).Address
Exit Function
End If
End If