PDA

View Full Version : VBA Express Certification?

Wayfarer
12-28-2016, 09:32 AM
Hi everyone

Thanks for opening the thread and (hopefully) reading.

I've recently been approached in work with the opportunity to move departments and be promoted because I'm "kind of alright with I.T." (That's what he heard about me). I did Games Development in College (16 yrs old to 18 yrs old in the UK) and covered some VBA/Java/Flash. All in all, the manager is a cool guy, he found out I'm interested in this area and he really wants to offer me the job that is going to go out in the third week of January. Because of where I work there is a fair hiring process so he needs to put this position out for internal applications. He and my current manager basically said to me to go out and do my best to learn VBA in Excel over the next 3 weeks as it is a core skill needed for this job.

Now, first things first, I know there is a plethora of information available via Google to learn VBA. Currently I'm using a YouTube series (Excel VBA 2010 by YourProgrammingNetwork) to build my knowledge. If there are any better ways to go about it please suggest them.

That said, I was told to put myself in the best place to apply for this job and certification does a good job of objectively saying you have 'something'. I wanted to check if anybody on here has used the certification offered by VBA Express on their C.V. (resumé) and had some fruition from it? Is it worth paying for (is this question allowed on this website? Sorry if it's not!)?

I'm looking for some help here. I'm certainly capable of learning VBA but I want to put myself in a good position for this job. I'd really appreciate help from you guys.

tldr; I have a job opportunity coming up that needs basic to intermediate VBA skills, is the VBA Express certification useful to have in that respect?