PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Add shape only if shape doesn't already exist

gtbreps_2
12-30-2016, 07:39 AM
I'm trying to add a text box shape. I have the code written to add the text box where I want it and how I want it formatted.

Dim Message As Integer
Dim messagebx As Shape
Message = MsgBox("Would you like to include a message to the client?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Message")
If Message = vbYes Then
Range("C12:L12").Merge
rows("12:22").insert
Set messagebx = Shapes.AddTextbox(msoTextOrientationHorizontal, 22, 165, 473, 185)
messagebx.TextFrame.Characters.Text = "[Insert Message]"
messagebx.TextFrame.Characters.Font.Size = 9
messagebx.TextFrame.Characters.Font.Name = "Arial"
messagebx.Line.Visible = msoFalse
Else
'do nothing
End If

After this and a bunch of other code is performed, my sheet can be updated and the code re-ran. But if I re-run the code, this text box is replaced with a new blank box. I'd like it to just stay using an error handling statement or something. I'm just not familiar with error handling.

gtbreps_2
12-30-2016, 09:15 AM
I solved my own issue. I simply added an extra user input box and rearranged a few actions. Used a yes/no box 'Message1' to give myself space 'rows("12:22").insert' because if I re-run the entire code, information gets replaced in those cells even if there's already a text box. Message2 is another yes/no box to ask if I'm creating a new text box or if the text box already exists. If I pick yes, it creates a new box, if no it doesn't insert a new box ... aka there's already a box there.

Dim Message1, Message2 As Integer
Dim messagebx As Shape
'User input to ask if there is or will be a text box to insert cells where text box will be located
Message1 = MsgBox("Is there going to be or is there already a message to the client?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Message")
If Message1 = vbYes Then
rows("12:22").insert
'User input to ask if the text box is a new box or if there is already a box
Message2 = MsgBox("Would you like to add the message to the client now? If you've already written the message, pick NO!", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Message")
If Message2 = vbYes Then
Set messagebx = Shapes.AddTextbox(msoTextOrientationHorizontal, 22, 165, 473, 185)
With messagebx
.TextFrame.Characters.Text = "[Insert Message] *If new text box is inserted by accident, select box and delete."
.TextFrame.Characters.Font.Size = 9
.TextFrame.Characters.Font.Name = "Arial"
.Line.Visible = msoFalse
.Placement = xlFreeFloating
End With
Else
'do nothing
End If
Else
'do nothing
End If