PDA

View Full Version : Decorate my sheet as an interface

FrancisZheng
02-13-2017, 07:10 AM
Hello everyone,

My problem doesn't necessarily require coding. I have a worksheet on which there are a couple of buttons and cells with dates in them. I will modify the dates and press the buttons to execute operations done in other sheets. So this sheet is basically an interface. I want to make it prettier so that my superiors will feel more comfortable. But I have no idea what I can improve. Is there anything you guys suggest? Or just throw me some pretty exemples or links, it would help a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Francis

SamT
02-13-2017, 01:42 PM
one idea

Paul_Hossler
02-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Hello everyone,

My problem doesn't necessarily require coding. I have a worksheet on which there are a couple of buttons and cells with dates in them. I will modify the dates and press the buttons to execute operations done in other sheets. So this sheet is basically an interface. I want to make it prettier so that my superiors will feel more comfortable. But I have no idea what I can improve. Is there anything you guys suggest? Or just throw me some pretty exemples or links, it would help a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Francis

Kittens? Puppies? Dilbert? PHB?

A picture or small sample will help people keep ideas in the ballpark

If you're talking about some sort of dashboard, "Excel 2007 Dashboards & Reports For Dummies Mar 2008", has 10 rules at the end. Lot of other information, but this is their Top 10 List

Avoiding fancy formatting
Skipping unnecessary chart junk
Formatting large numbers
Using data tables instead of data labels
Using chart titles effectively
Sorting data before charting
Limiting the use of pie charts
Parsing data into separate charts
Maintaining correct aspect ratios
Knowing when not to use charts

Back in the old days when I had to work for a living, my interface design rule of thumb was to "Make it so easy, a VP could use it"

Ask yourself: "Why is the user sitting down at the keyboard?" and make it easy to answer those kind of questions

So make sure not to over complicate it

This is an interesting read

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/05/09/the-process-of-designing-a-product/

Edit - I forgot -- if you can use pivot tables and pivot charts, using slicers can work really well and make the spreadsheet look nice, easy to operate, and confidence enhancing

FrancisZheng
02-14-2017, 03:07 AM
one idea

Thank you !

FrancisZheng
02-14-2017, 03:10 AM
Kittens? Puppies? Dilbert? PHB?

A picture or small sample will help people keep ideas in the ballpark

If you're talking about some sort of dashboard, "Excel 2007 Dashboards & Reports For Dummies Mar 2008", has 10 rules at the end. Lot of other information, but this is their Top 10 List

Back in the old days when I had to work for a living, my interface design rule of thumb was to "Make it so easy, a VP could use it"

Ask yourself: "Why is the user sitting down at the keyboard?" and make it easy to answer those kind of questions

So make sure not to over complicate it

This is an interesting read

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/05/09/the-process-of-designing-a-product/

Edit - I forgot -- if you can use pivot tables and pivot charts, using slicers can work really well and make the spreadsheet look nice, easy to operate, and confidence enhancing

Thank you. That's some good advice.

Logit
02-14-2017, 09:55 AM
Use Google Images and search for :

- interesting excel sheet design

- Pretty excel sheets

- Excel sheet designs

- Unusual Excel Sheet designs

- Creative Excel Sheet designs

- Professional Excel Sheet designs

Paul_Hossler
02-14-2017, 01:31 PM
Thank you. That's some good advice.

Post a screen shot or a small WB sample and it'll be easier to come up with more suggestions

FrancisZheng
02-15-2017, 03:16 AM
Thank you for your advice! I will search on the internet a little more then post what I've done.