PDA

View Full Version : VBA code for multiple column loop - help please!!!

Hub
02-15-2017, 03:12 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and I have a problem in VBA that I cant seem solve!!! :banghead: :crying:

To explain, I am having problem with the VBA code for multiple lookups. I have three columns in a worksheet. The first column contains a list of dates and the second column contains a list of product codes. I am trying to populate the third column with the price of the product.
In a different worksheet I have three columns, which are the dates, product codes, and the prices for each of the products. The issue is the price of the product changes each year for each product, so I need to find the price on or after the date is updated for each product. I have attached the two sheets as example if it helps, can someone please help with the VBA for this example, thanks :)

JBeaucaire
02-18-2017, 01:03 AM
Here is a custom function you can use on your sheet as long as the lookup table is in the exact format you showed...

A = dates
B = codes
C = historical prices

Those three columns can exist anywhere, but in that order, the array in the function evaluates them in that order.

The the function is used in a cell as:

=NEWESTPRICE(CurrentDate, ProductCode, DateCodeTable)

=NEWESTPRICE(A3, B3, Sheet2!$A$2:$C$12)

Option Explicit
Function NEWESTPRICE(CurrentDate As Date, ProductCode As String, DateCodeTable As Range) As Double
Dim d As Long, Newest As Date
Dim dcARR As Variant

dcARR = DateCodeTable.Value
For d = 1 To UBound(dcARR)
If dcARR(d, 2) = ProductCode Then
If Newest = 0 Then
Newest = dcARR(d, 1)
NEWESTPRICE = dcARR(d, 3)
ElseIf dcARR(d, 1) > Newest Then
Newest = dcARR(d, 1)
NEWESTPRICE = dcARR(d, 3)
End If
End If
Next d
End Function

p45cal
02-18-2017, 07:44 AM
Adapting JBeaucaire's code (only because I'm wondering whether the OP was looking for the newest price):
Function PriceAtTheTime(CurrentDate As Date, ProductCode As String, DateCodeTable As Range) As Double
Dim dcARR, maxDate As Date, d As Long
dcARR = DateCodeTable.Value
For d = 1 To UBound(dcARR)
If dcARR(d, 2) = ProductCode And dcARR(d, 1) <= CurrentDate Then
If dcARR(d, 1) > maxDate Then
PriceAtTheTime = dcARR(d, 3)
maxDate = dcARR(d, 1)
End If
End If
Next d
End Function
Use:
=PriceAtTheTime(CurrentDate, ProductCode, DateCodeTable)

=PriceAtTheTime(A2, B2, Sheet2!$A$1:$C$12)

JBeaucaire
02-18-2017, 04:58 PM
Adapting JBeaucaire's code (only because I'm wondering whether the OP was looking for the newest price)

THat's a great distinction! Mine gives the most current price for any item regardless of where it occurs in the table, yours gives the price that was in effect on the date given, very nice.

p45cal
02-19-2017, 04:50 AM
Now all we need is for Hub to have the grace to acknowledge the help he's had - unlikely since he cross posted this question and got a solution which, it seems, he paid for!

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/42240441/vba-lookup-for-multiple-matches
https://www.freelancer.ca/projects/Software-Architecture/vba-code-13121470/

Some reading for Hub: http://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184