PDA

View Full Version : user form pop-up with excel start

samohtwerdna
11-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if I can create a user form and have it show whenever, the user starts excel - and is there a way to export this macro to other machiens without attaching it to a spreadsheet its self?

In other words a global user form??

Zack Barresse
11-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Hi there,

As a UserForm is attached to the workbook itself, the book would have to travel around and ultimately open for the UserForm to be viewed/utilized. So I ask, if you do not want the UserForm attached to the spreadsheet, why use Excel?

samohtwerdna
11-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Good question Zack,

I am writing an application for users in and out of house - all of which have excel, and a pricing software that my company uses. The pricing software is able to export to an excel spreadsheet - I want to analyze the exported data by the square inch to come up with a quote for finish cost on a per job basis. So excel seemed the natural choice.

I guess I can create a spreadsheet that will import the .xls created by our pricing program and filter out the unnecessary info and analyze the remainder.

Killian
11-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Sounds like a job for an AddIn
You might want to take a look at this (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5918) link for some more info on how to create and deploy one.

samohtwerdna
11-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks Killian :thumb

I think an Addin will work great. Now if there was just a way to auto install the Addin from email!

Anyway, I may have a few questions about the Addin - but your link was a great start.

Thanks.

Zack Barresse
11-09-2005, 02:06 PM
..Now if there was just a way to auto install the Addin from email! ..
You'd still need them to run a file. You can make an exe of your file to auto-install. I use Install Creator, good program and it's free. I would recommend against it though. I'd just make your add-in and instructions on where to place it and how to install it. That has always been an easy route for me and my user's. It's always hard the first time, but they get used to it. ;)