PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Excel Corruption - Broken Link Missing

dj44
06-18-2017, 02:56 PM
Folks,

Good evening,

Now a problem has happend and i dont know why.

It was all perfect untill yetserday

Now when i open my Excel - i am having to deal with 2 pop ups

Pop up 1

Excel cannot access Excel - Library -' The document may be read-only or encrypted.

Pop up 2

Microsoft Excel - Library - ' cannot be accessed. The file may be corrupted, located on a server that is not responding, or read-only

I repared office 365

I also removed the personal xlsb

But why this sudden pop up

I have googled it all about the broken links and objects but nothing worked to get rid of it

Please advise and thank you

SamT
06-18-2017, 03:17 PM
In any workbook I often use, I place the following code in the ThisWorkbook Module.
Edit the Path to suit.
CDble(Now) results in a numerical TimeCode so the saves are listed in date/time order in Windows Explorer.

Const SavePath as String = "E:\COMPUTING\VBA\MyPersonal\"

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
If Not Me.Saved Then _
Me.SaveCopyAs (SavePath & CDbl(Now) & Me.Name & ".xls") 'Edit ".xls" to suit
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUi As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)
Me.SaveCopyAs (SavePath & CDbl(Now) & Me.Name & ".xls")
End Sub

dj44
06-18-2017, 04:09 PM
Hello Sam,
good evening,

Will this get rid of the pop ups when i open excel.

When i click to open an excel file - it gives me those to pop up warnings.

I'm a bit confused what excel wants - why is it trying to link to other files :think:

I just want to open my excel files as normal as i do every day

SamT
06-18-2017, 04:59 PM
Will this get rid of the pop ups when i open excel.
No. It just backs up the file every time you change it, so you can revert to the last uncorrupted version.

dj44
06-18-2017, 06:14 PM
Hello Sam,

i repaired office 365, so this error should not be happeing in excel.

All i am doing is opening my excel files as normal by clicking and this pop up now appears,

If any one knows whats going on please do share, this is most :doh:

Paul_Hossler
06-18-2017, 06:29 PM
can you post the workbook?

dj44
06-18-2017, 06:54 PM
Hello Paul,
theres no workbook, its all files, any file i click to open, these 2 most annoying pop ups appear now.
if i make a new excel workbook and open it - the same pop up occurs.

I move the personal xlsb out of the start up for testing if it was the suspicious culprit but still same thing

i repaired office

Where exactly is this hidden work book and why is the MAIN EXCEL application asking for it im stumped here

dj44
06-18-2017, 07:17 PM
folks,

after a weekend of stress i have finally discovered what went wrong , well it had to be me as usual making a mess of things :grinhalo:

Now in these locations i always put a shortcut link to my back up folder so i can quickly go there to back up my personal xlsb as it can be corrupted and i lose all my stuff.

Now i couldnt see the forest for the trees, running around fixing this and that, thanks excel

i was NOT I Repeat NOT looking forward to monday uninstalling the whole shebang.

Well excel has been no help that folder is not a document get your facts staright excel :doh:

but just in the nick of time i noticed the folder and got thinking that does link to the said document in question,

I looked high and low though all my workbooks for the missing hyperlink - oh well lesson learned

For any one dealing with this corruption - do not put any folders in excel start up folder - EXCEL thinks its a workbook :doh:

thanks Sam, i will add that module to my book

and Paul good evening