PDA

View Full Version : Downloading from a list.

X82
07-14-2017, 01:54 AM
After posting in a forum about this issue of trying to download files from a list of URLs, this kind soul gave me a macro enabled workbook (attached).
It works great as I wanted as it downloads all the files I need but there is a catch.
Say the url is //testsite/admin.aspx?getfile=55955 The file it would normally get if I pasted that in my browser at work would be 20170101_Information.docx
But when using the provided workbook the file that is downloaded is: //testsite/admin.aspx?getfile=55955
So If I rename it to //testsite/admin.aspx?getfile=55955.docx it will open the file. In other words, it doesn't download the file with the filename, it just downloads it and uses the filename from the url.
So 2 questions.
Can this be tweaked so as to download the correct file name from the server? (If required, I can put a list of the file names it needs to be in a seperate column).
And secondly, is there a way to add to this so it downloads the files to a specific directory based on a column.

Really do appreciate all help given here. I fear I am way out of my depth.

A few side notes, I have to use Excel because of the limitations on our work PC. Unable to install any software etc.

Paul_Hossler
07-14-2017, 05:18 AM
I've seen sites like that

I'd guess that there is no 'name' relationship between "//testsite/admin.aspx?getfile=55955" and the resulting file named (maybe) "SalesReport.docx"

Meaning that 55955 is just the 55,955th file uploaded and not the name.ext of the file

There's no URLs in your sample workbook so I can't check

It'd be possible to address the two questions with something like this maybe