PDA

View Full Version : Challenge to get huge Excel Workbook running online

Sari
07-26-2017, 03:43 AM
Hi all,

I've got a quite challenging question. :)

I've created an Excel workbook with many sheets, macros, VBA, objects, shapes, data validation, etc. so actually everything you can think of.
So now my file is about 12MB and difficult to handle for some PC's. The intention of this workbook is some kind of a tool-collection for projects, so the data filled in to the workbook should not end up in the original file as this one should stay as a template.
I tried already to upload it to onedrive, but once opening the file I receive the error message that the document is too big.
I'm searching for a web based application which is able to open the template, handle editing, saving as a different document to make sure the template isn't touched, and of course being able to perform the VBA/macros.
Does anyone of you have experience with such web based applications and could give me some hints which one could be the best for my intention?
Or maybe you have a completely different idea, everything is very welcome!

Thank you very much in advance!

Greets,
Sari

Aflatoon
07-26-2017, 04:38 AM
I am not aware of any web-based tools that can run VBA.

Sari
07-26-2017, 05:01 AM
thanks for the quick response. Do you have another idea which could solve my problem? The size is as much decreased as possible, so there is unfortunately no room for improvement...

Aflatoon
07-26-2017, 05:12 AM
Not really as it's too vague a question without the workbook. 12MB is not at all a large file though.

greyangel
07-26-2017, 05:14 AM
Have you tried saving the file as Excel Binary? This greatly reduces the space of your file and retains all formulas and VBA code that you may have stored in the workbook.

SamT
07-26-2017, 06:15 AM
Need to know a lot more about the file.

Sari
07-26-2017, 07:21 AM
I also tried that hint with the binary file, but I'm only saving a few KB on that...

Ok, more about the file... I'm using Office 356 and Excel 2013. In the file are about 35 sheets contained. Every sheet has different kind of VBA's, like for example changing shape colors, hide or show spreadsheets, send mails, print buttons, hyperlinks (internal ones through the workbook, but also external ones to websites), embedded Visio and Power point, if-statements, a userform and so on.

I try to capture as much information as possible, but I'm not sure which Info is also important to know. Could you let me know which info would be good to know for you? Do I need to go more in detail about the code itself or about the formatting?

Sari
08-01-2017, 01:08 AM
Hi all,
if you need more info, please let me know what kind of. Still searching for an online solution.
Thanks in advance!
Greets,
Sari

offthelip
08-01-2017, 01:44 AM
Why don't you create your own web page on a server with your own url and make it a proper system. Obviously you can buy the url and then rent the space on the server .