PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Truly secure macro code with password?

trekrtwo
11-16-2005, 11:42 AM
Hello all.

Is it possible to actually protect macros from viewing in Office apps? It looks like there are a hundred cheap password crackers that claim to break any password I might create.

I'm using Office 2002. Is the new version more secure?

Thanks!

johnske
11-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Hello all.

Is it possible to actually protect macros from viewing in Office apps?... No, VBA is not a completely secure environment. It's only safe from the 'normal' users eyes, but before you get worried about it, consider this: do you think that those who have enough knowledge to crack your password would really be interested in any code you (or I) may write?

Thanks!Maybe a little...

Ken Puls
11-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Is it possible to actually protect macros from viewing in Office apps? It looks like there are a hundred cheap password crackers that claim to break any password I might create.

Can you stop someone from getting access to view your code? No. Period. Office is not a secure environment for code at all. A knowledgeable person can access your protected code in less than five minutes. The only need to know what software to download, and it won't even cost them a dime.

No. Nor is 2003. It will be interesting to see if the next version imparts any more security though.

If you want security, and you are above 97, you may want to try compiling a dll file using Visual Basic. That will protect it, although I believe that even those complied addins can be decompiled by someone who knows their way around it.

Fact of the matter is that if your code is that confidential, you shouldn't be in an office app. :(

trekrtwo
11-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks. I was afraid that might have been the case.

And, good point Johnske...