PDA

View Full Version : Disable New Excel Auto-save Feature(Not auto recovery)

CBrine
09-07-2017, 01:28 PM
I think the new auto save feature in office 365 is a good thing for most users, but I have some concerns about it. I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a method to globally disable it yet? Short sighted on MS's part to not include an easy way to do so, but that's what my research to date is pointing to.

Thanks in advance
Cal

Simon Lloyd
09-07-2017, 02:01 PM
In Excel go to File>Options>Advanced> Uncheck "Allow Background Saves" then in the left panel click Save> Uncheck "Keep the last autosaved version if I close without saving” box. But you can't disable it forever, it is only on a per file basis.

mdmackillop
09-08-2017, 05:09 AM
In Office 365 you'll find Simon's options under File/Options/Save. Doing this to a blank workbook and then saving it to your XLStart folder as Book should mean new books are created without the Autosave enabled.

CBrine
09-08-2017, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the responses! They might help me out. Still wish MS had at least placed an option to allow you to globally disable this. :)

Aflatoon
09-08-2017, 06:57 AM
Still wish MS had at least placed an option to allow you to globally disable this.

We keep telling them that. Can't say whether it will have any effect though.

CBrine
10-31-2017, 10:08 AM
I found a solution to this, figured I would post it here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4036334/how-to-disable-autosave-in-office-365-proplus

Looks like you need to actually add an entry to your register, but it does work and turns off the auto-save feature. Make sure you back up your registry first!